NOW LIVE! – Tablo App for Apple TV

The funny part, the iOS app also streams flawlessly from other locations (i.e: at the office, I can watch recordings or live broadcasts) without hiccup. only the Apple TV gives me grief. Yet, it’s only the Tablo App. Everything else over the network works fine, internet or local.

Well, I’m a Mac guy since 1985 - and Apple has certainly gone downhill the last few years with their hardware and software!

I’m happy with my Apple TV 4 so far. I have the 1st gen as well. It’s just streaming from the Apple TV that does not seem to work. weird.

Upgrade router to Wireless AC. The AppleTV 4th gen uses it. http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-what-s-the-difference

1 Like

@beastman
+1 for a good ac router, i put tomato on this asus 68 u and it has been rock solid.

@lbarouf
Did u try ethernet from apple tv 4 to router? Yes I saw the 1st post but dont see if u set the reservation.
If u get it connected with ethernet, make sure to set a DHCP reservation in routers config

@Tom_C I have not tried reserving the IP in the router, I have tried using Ethernet via the powerline adapter, worked fine for other content. What would be the theory about fixing the IP in the DHCP? The Apple TV is not serving any service to the best of my knowledge, everything is outbound initiated, no?

@lbarouf
Maybe somebody else can chime in here but reserving the IP for the tablo is for a few unknown happenings such as rebooting… relocating Etc…and to prevent the router assigning a new ip every time it is disc.
The router has to assign a new ip everytime, supposedly this is not good from what I read.

Also, if u dont assign a reservation to the tablo, it may send out ip addys to devices that connect to it.
You only want your router assigning ip addresses.

@beastman Hummm ok. I have an access point connected to a Cisco router for the wifi traffic, it supports N, not AC. I have tried with an Apple Airport Extreme as well, but again 802.11n. I could try something with AC and see if the Apple TV is happier with that. Thanks, did not think of this as an issue. Cisco Aironets are not cheap though. Will see.

@Tom_C Thanks, I hear you. My router reassigns the last ip is the leave recently expired or if the lease has not expired yet. So in my case it automagically gets the same. The advantage I find in fixing the IP is if you are trying to directly access that device from the outside, is a PAT or NAT rule exists.
It’s easy enough to try if all else fails. I will see if I can borrow an AC router first to test the theory out.

Cheers!

I have found an unused channel for the 5.8Ghz band, fixed the SSID to that channel, and joined all devices to that SSID. Unless it’s a lucky coincidence, the Apple TV appears to be happier. Even it’s a N router. So, I will maintain this setup for a short while and see if stays stable.

I am just a bit surprised that all wireless behaves better than wired for the Apple TV.

Thanks for the tip and crossing fingers it stays that way!

@lbarouf
Ironically, I put my TP Link range extender back in my office for the tablo is connected and tried and did connect to ethernet port.
What I made sure in the TP Link ranger router config was to set as a static IP and also there’s a choice for 2.4 or 5 GHz To which the ethernet port can emulate, I chose 5g when i first set it up a yr ago. I through everything I could at it and no buffering issues whatsoever so go figure :hugs:

@Tom_C Yeah, go figure. Well, if both our Tablos run fin, that’s the best.

1 Like

So you had better results going wireless with your Apple TV than wired? That’s insane, but I’m will to try anything at this point to stop these freezing issues. It sounds like your setup is similar to mine. Wired Apple TV, AirPort Extreme and wired Tablo.

@silence Yes it was. Now it has been running all wireless. A 5.8Ghz separate SSID was created on the APE, and both, Tablo and Apple TV 4 connect to it. iPad/iPhone locally and remotely connect to it fine, and so is the Apple TV 4. Crazy. Wireless is more stable in my case. I’m using the HD 720 - 5 Mbps max recording Quality, and Full Quality remote streaming.

I’ve been running Tablo with 2 4th Gen Apple TVs for just over 3 weeks. I have an Apple AirPort Extreme router. I also run the Tablo app on our iPads.

As far as streaming goes, I’ve had absolutely no problems. Syncing sometimes takes longer than I’d like, but I’m definitely not regretting my purchase of this system!

Well, I tried it, but it still freezes about 75% of the time. Thanks for the suggestion! Right now, I have the Apple TV Wired and the tablo wireless, that seems to work a bit better, but it still freezes the apple TV about 25% of the time I use the 10 second skip. I’m in the process is installing cat 6 in the entire house, so after this weekend, I’m hopping to have cat6 run to both the tablo and Apple TV (just the Apple TV has it right now, I have to run some to near the coax next), we’ll see if that corrects my freezing issues. It’s a little extreme, but I’m just lucky I can do it (unfinished crawl space, FTW!). I don’t know what most users would do… It seems like Tablo needs to take some time to refine how the 10 second skip works on the apple TV. I have no freezing issues on my iOS devices, or my Rokus.

Same here, in terms of the freezing. Happens 50% of the time. Last evening I paused the start of the national news 'cause SWMBO had to take a call. The call lasted 25 minutes; we got the freezing when we tried to resume. Lost the entire broadcast.

The Tablo and the Apple TV are hardwired. Don’t have this issue with anything except the ATV. SWMBO might ask me to explore other options.

@TabloTV, you paying attention here?

-Dan

@danok_1 - There’s nothing we’re aware of that would be causing this but I’ve asked the team to take a closer look.

Can you confirm whether you’re using the latest version of the app? (v. 1.1)

I’m using 1.1 and opened a ticket for this issue on 2/15/17, I have yet to even get a response. Every other device works fine (mostly iOS, but also a Roku 3).

@silence That’s odd; we don’t have a ticket on file for you. Did you submit this through the form, or send an email to support@tablotv.com? Please feel free to re-send and we can take a look!