NextGen TV’s DRM puts future of the over-the-air DVR in doubt

Interesting read from TechHive

1 Like

Fact, armed with $30 and a trip to Walmart, I can re-broadcast (live) ANYTHING that is privacy protected. Even, the beloved future ATSC 3.0 with drm. Again, this requirement has ZERO to do with preventing piracy. Sigh…

Although broadcasters downplayed ATSC 3.0’s DRM (digital rights management) features in the standard’s early years,

It was always known. It was there for a reason. Marketing ATSC 3.0 with a consumer friendly name like NextGen TV so big corporations could say it’s good for you should be a hint. Now… it’s just for safety - then suddenly you have to pay for OTA.

Surprise, it’s getting worse. Internet dependency, multiple levels of certification (unlike what was promised), same source ONLY restriction, end device certification required, etc., etc…

Die NextgenTV, die.

5 Likes

I used to be excited for this and it really did have so much potential. It’s a shame that it turned so quickly.

1 Like

All NextgenTV will do if this is “the way” they’re going to do it, is promote and encourage piracy and illegal rebroadcasts. So proud. I’d fire them all.

You will have to explain how ATSC 3.0 OTA DRM broadcasts will encourage more illegal(IPTV) rebroadcasts then an unencrypted ATSC 1.0 broadcast.

And since the standard was developed by a consortium of companies and not the government I’m not sure who you would or could fire.

But here is a list of just the chairperson(not the worker bees) of the various subcommittees.

Anytime (emphasis) you arbitrarily restrict access to “something”, especially when prior access was unrestricted, you foster illegal other pathways. Do not let the propaganda fool you. There’s zero real reason for this. Zero.

This skunk wreaks.

I have morals, so I would never rebroadcast their closed evil thing… but, emphasis, it’s trivial (I mean, super trivial) to do… that is, this drm crap, which again, does nothing to me as an evil (just slightly less evil than those behind ATSC 3.0 drm) rebroadcaster to do my thing. I wouldn’t do this… but again, I still have morals. The arbitrary restrictions here only harm the average person. It’s will create a bigger “class” gap between the “mighty” and the “unimportant” people. And as such, it will foster a market for “free” content via illegal means.

I’m just hoping the FCC can see that. But money and power blinds sense.

3 Likes

Seems like the game is to make it so inconvenient that you give in to paying for the big networks’ ‘limited ads’ streaming service.
There are advantages with the streaming services over OTA now, but take away the flexibility you have to record OTA and all you have left is ‘its free!’ (for now…)

You’re a game player. You aren’t a game developed or own the game. You can either play the game, play another game, or play no games.

True. The fun stops when someone decides to take their ball and go home. Just find another game to play I guess, plenty of options.

When it comes to ATSC 3.0 DRM and encryption it seems to work on TV’s with ATSC 3.0 tuners.

For STB’s and gateway products no one brings that ball to a game since the last set of A3SA API’s isn’t in place yet. But there will be limitations on capabilities for encrypted OTA broadcasts.

Something similar to CopyIIPC from back in the day for software will be developed.

Any bids?

1 Like

More hysterics by the same 2-3 people. The guy is pushing an “agenda” and not telling the full truth. I have personally went back and forth with one of the ATSC 3 manufactures claiming someone is giving out false information and manipulating things. They say how they tried and tried to get him, a Youtuber, to tell the truth about their device and finally said they gave up on him.

ATSC 3 DRM works fine, I watch it every single day. Take anything you see or hear about ATSC 3 DRM with a grain of salt and keep in the back of your mind, the same 2-3 people are the ones pushing all the negativity.

An agenda may be in play, ATSC 3.0 has a “user-friendly” name NextGenTV for marketing… used by corporations… to convince consumers it’s a good thing, it’s a real good thing.

Oh yea, it has DRM. It has always been part of the standards but we didn’t mentions it much until things got going.

I figured most issues were with the external boxes, but now it seems built in tuners in TV sets are having issues too.

And DRM will make streaming out of home impossible I trust Tyler and Lon and thank them making us aware of it.

It had never been a “secret”. I believe those marketing “NextGenTV” likely downplayed it. The info regarding possible pay-per-view has always been a concern.

In October 2020 wrote a comment here as JimH that stated:

“This conversion to ATSC 3 is voluntary because the FCC would not make it mandatory. I wonder if the FCC is really willing to take a beating for pushing ATSC 3 on the public, especially if the change degrades ATSC 1 reception or its display? I have serious doubts about it.”

See: Tablo ATSC 3.0 Plans 2021 - #44 by ronintexas

I recently read an article by a senior broadcast engineer that stated: (Emphasis is mine)

“Television set manufacturers along with STB vendors with units new and old have to figure the DRM issue out and fast! DRM decoding must be able to happen without the device being connected to the internet! If it doesn’t then ATSC 3.0 with DRM will be Code Blue. If there are bad storms, tornados, hurricanes around me and I lose internet access, then I can’t watch television?”

If you lose free over-the-air television then you lose access to the emergency broadcast announcements at the national, state, and local levels.

Now factor in US consumers’ degraded economic situation in the US since 2020! (Cumulative effects of inflation, and cumulative debt)

Combine those paragraphs with LG dropping ATSC 3.0 in their sets and getting the FCC to force the conversion to ATSC 3.0 is probably going to be impossible.