New User, Kind of Dissapointed

@KE4NYV just wrote a similiar post. tried 3 different antennas positioning the works. i dont want to mount an antenna on the roof but had no luck so far. canceled comcast thinking this would save me time and money but so far no luck tech support made me switch antennas switch hard drives all sorts of stuff but no luck let me know if you fare better.

It is a Channel Master. +15 dB gain for this model. The only LNA I found with more gain in this form factor was a Winegard at +18dB. I have an old indoor amp with a dual output good for +24 dB of gain, but it requires direct 120V AC to power it and I really didnā€™t want to go through running romex up my tower to it.

No, itā€™s not simple, but I was hoping that I could get decent performance from the antenna, especially getting it up high, with a decent low noise LNA.

Itā€™s an outdoor rated antenna. Iā€™m not sure which tech support you are referring to.

I have looked at those and the typical ā€œbowtieā€ antennas. Several guys I work with have bowtie style antennas and really like them. However, they are all living a good 20-30 miles north of me and closer to the Maryland station transmitter sites. I always have to take that into account when taking advice/suggestions from other people around me.

Have you looked at www.tvfool.com

I was refering to Tablo techo support

@KE4NYV so after going through 3 antennas and being close to my towers tablo tech support blamed my issues on poor reception. disjointedness just like you at their response.

I have a Channel Master 4228 antenna connected to a Channel Master Titan 2 777 pre-amp and clearly received channels from 69 miles away.

Iā€™m checking out this CM-7777 amp. It has +30dB of gain, so that would double what I have now. I also bought a new bowtie style antenna to put up. Iā€™m hoping that the amp I have now, with the new antenna will work better. If not, Iā€™ll look at going to this amp. Thanks for the suggestion.

i gave up
selling all my gear

Giving up really isnā€™t an option for me. I have well over $600 invested in this and I dumped Dish on Monday after having them for seven years. I think Iā€™m committed and in for the long haul. I really want to like the Tablo and have hopes that it will fill my live TV need, along with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.

Now if I could just figure out how to get FX, A&E and other similar channels streaming without them requiring me to already have a cable subscriptionā€¦

1 Like

Sling tv could be an option for those extra channels. I know that adds $20 a month, but for me I was able to dump Hulu once I got my tablo running smoothly so that could cut into the cost of sling a bit.

FX isnā€™t included on Sling. FX does have an exclusive with Amazon Prime to stream their shows, one season late.

I know the feeling, my wife has started picking on me because this was supposed to be a cost saving idea but I feel like I am always buying something else in an attempt to make it work. I have good signal reception on most channels so at least I have that going for me.

In the end I settled on a DB8e ( I live about 45 miles away from our regional antenna cluster with hills and other interesting terrain issues) ā€¦ {One thing I didnt noticed before I got this antenna is its UHF only ā€¦ and we have one or two stations still on VHF ā€¦ ugh but as they are duplicate affiliates im not overly worried}

with an RCA TVPRAMP1R Preamplifier ā€¦
http://amzn.com/B003P92D9Y

Donā€™t be surprised if you get the VHF channels. My CM-4228 gets the one VHF channel we have here as well as all the UHF channels.

No we dont ā€¦ they are too far/weak to get picked up unfortunately.

I just picked up a two bay, single reflector version of this for $17 to just do a simple test. In my case, all of the UHF channels are 30-45 miles north of me and the VHF channels are through translators/repeaters about 20 miles south of me. I picked up a VHF/UHF diplexer in case I need to add a second antenna (VHF) pointing south to get those channels. If you see my map (up several posts), youā€™ll see the odd geographical location Iā€™m in.

Thats what I am planning on doing but its not a huge priority since they are duplicates of current affiliates we already get.

In my case, a couple of them are duplicates, but a couple are also channels I canā€™t receive from the north of me and the stations south are the local news from the metro area about two hours south of me.