New to Tablo: Couple comments

I love the user interface for managing the recordings, and browsing what’s available.

I think this solution will work for me except there is no 30 second fast forward option on the roku, nor any preview when fast forwarding.  this makes it difficult to skip commercials… one of hte huge reasons to have your own DVR vs. say hulu plus.

Also is there a way to watch the movies with a higher framerate?  Can I access the files on the hard drive somehow, to playback locally via VLC or something?  30 frames per second vs 60 is noticeable.

The best way to skip commercials on the Roku (in my opinion) is to really look at the timer bar.  I just hold down the skip forward button (right arrow) till that timer moves 2 to 3 minutes.  I hit play, and usually I am right where I want to be.

The Tablo records at 30 frames per second.  So there is no way to improve that.  

@tablogeekess

Snowcat is correct on the frame rate, but we’ve got something new coming for FFW. Stay tuned :) 

The Tablo records at 30 frames per second.  So there is no way to improve that.  

I didn’t know that.  What happens to the other 30 frames of an HD broadcast (720p 60fps for example)?

I don’t think I understand this “issue”  pretty much every recording I have including all my Bluray or DVD rips are at 24fps or 30fps.  I have zero at 60fps.

As I understand it 60fps is an artifact of the old interlaced signals that basically showed a single “frame” at 30fps once displayed on the screen.

Also, all broadcasters in my area send the signal at 29.97fps.

I don't think I understand this "issue"  pretty much every recording I have including all my Bluray or DVD rips are at 24fps or 30fps.  I have zero at 60fps.

As I understand it 60fps is an artifact of the old interlaced signals that basically showed a single "frame" at 30fps once displayed on the screen.

Blueray is 30fps, but apparently OTA ATSC is 60fps (I didn’t realize this until I researched it today).  From this article:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/1080i-and-1080p-are-the-same-resolution/
OK, 720p is 1,280x720 pixels, running at 60 frames per second (fps). This is the format used by ABC, Fox, and their various sister channels (like ESPN). I’ve seen some reader comments in response to other articles I’ve written ridiculing ABC/Fox for this “lower” resolution, but that’s unfair in two big ways. The first, in the late '90s when all this was happening, there were no 1080p TVs. Sure, we all knew they were coming, but it was years before they started shipping (now, almost all TVs are 1080p). The other big way was the sports. Both ABC and Fox have big sports divisions, which played a big role in their decision to go with 720p. This is because when it comes down to it, fast motion looks better at 60fps (more on this later).

The 1080i designation is 1,920x1,080 pixels, running at 30 frames per second. This is what CBS, NBC, and just about every other broadcaster uses. The math is actually pretty simple: 1080 at 30fps is the same amount of data as 720 at 60 (or at least, close enough for what we’re talking about).

How, you might ask, does this 30fps work on TVs designed for 60? With modern video processing, the frame rate doesn’t matter much. Back in the olden days of the '90s, however, we weren’t so lucky. The 1080 image is actually “interlaced.” That’s where the “i” comes from. What this means is that even though there are 30 frames every second, it is actually 60 fields. Each field is 1,920x540 pixels, every 60th of a second. Of the 1,080 lines of pixels, the first field will have all the odd lines, the second field will have all the even lines. Your TV combines these together to form a complete frame of video.”

720p vs 720i, yeah, it gets tricky. 

720p vs 720i, yeah, it gets tricky. 

No such animal as 720i…perhaps you mean 1080i.

chose the wrong number. Stuff happens when I am watching a show, FF through commercials AND posting at the same time. 

Yeah I think the thread went a little off topic! OP was asking why there is only a 30 second skip in the app.

Yeah I think the thread went a little off topic! OP was asking why there is only a 30 second skip in the app.

Yeah, a little, but in fairness he also asked about 30fps vs 60fps…which is what was being discussed.