New Tablo User - Not Impressed

Yes, it will depend on the AVR. Mine (Denon) will auto switch to DTS or DD5.1 when the source provides appropriate signal, but will default to whatever setting I manually selected when not Dolby, which in my case could be stereo or PLII, etc. So I initially had stereo from my Tablo, until I selected PLII as the output I wanted - but the AVR is set for auto-switching, not Pure or Direct.

1 Like

When my PC is set to pass through I keep my AVR set to PLIIx.

• PLIIx = 7.1
  • PLII = 5.1

The biggest issue is when channels that broadcast in 2 channel stereo and 480 the audio is really bad and often is much louder. You have to constantly reach for the volume control. I don’t do “Night Mode” to fix this because of how the AVR tunes the audio. Lately I have been having the PC upconvert everything to 7.1. That makes everything nice and uniform on my AVR.

@hellbound Hey there - sorry for the late note on this. If you’re still having issues, please feel free to send us a note directly ` if you haven’t already. We’re happy to work with you on this.

I agree with the original poster! I wanted the Tablo to be able to get rid of high provider bills. My wife watches much more TV than me and she is not going to use one device to look up TV listings while watching our HDTV. The fact that the show you’re watching stops playing while looking at the guide is a killer. I’ll be sending it back unless someone from Tablo can tell me that that will be fixed soon!

Return it.

The channel is still actively being tuned while you are looking at the guide. If you do happen to miss something while looking at the guide, you can just hit rewind and see what you missed.

This isn’t something that can be “fixed”. It is an integral part of how the Tablo works.

It’s a limitation of the Tablo. It’s a great time-shifting dvr. It sucks for live-tv/channel surfing.

1 Like