NEW - Roku Preview Update (2.0.15)

This is a great update! Working really well for me (with 2.2.6 firmware, but not yet 7.0 Roku firmware). I do like @akanderson528’s idea of a way to start live TV fast. How about having an option to automatically start live TV upon opening the Tablo channel in Roku? Either we can choose which channel we want to start (most watched channel), or it auto-loads the previously watched channel? I know not everyone would want or need this, but for people like akanderson528 and I, that could be pretty neat.

My Tablo software updated to 2.2.6 yesterday and the Tablo Preview channel on my Roku 3 updated this morning. Here are some observations.

1. Problem: Some channels do not have guide data available – the channel number and name are listed, but only stripes appear in the guide. It is not possible to select these channels for Live TV. These channels could be selected with the “standard” Tablo channel, even though nothing was listed in the guide. There needs to be a way to select these channels for Live TV with the Preview channel.

2. Improvement: It takes only 20 seconds to display recordings. The “standard” channel was taking well over 2 minutes.

3. Problem: There is an excessive long time in starting or resuming a playback of a recording. I am timing about 90 seconds from when “Watch” is selected and when the playback begins. There is a similar 90-second delay to resume watching after skipping through a commercial.

4. Question: The Tablo screen lists Channel 2.0 Build 15 and Tablo Software 2.2.6. What does the “Channel 2.0 Build 15” refer to? I have a 4-channel Tablo.

Roku 3
Tablo Preview Channel
Tablo Software 2.2.6

Randy

@RandyStevens - If you’re missing guide data let us know! We can fix this for you. Just place a ticket w/ support and let us know what your zip code is and what channels you’re missing.

And build 15 is the ‘version’ of the Tablo channel.

Is the guide data missing for these channels on ALL devices? Say iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet?

If so, then submit a suppor ticket to Tablo to have those channels added to your postal code / zip code. Or you can try a different postal / zip code and see if the channels get guide data.

Yes the guide data is missing on all devices. There are several channels that have this problem. I’ll submit a support ticket.

I have had the preview channel since it first came out. Will I get the updated automatically? I tried the getting started link and logged into my Roku account but could not find the Tablo channel. Is there a code to enter in?

With new update I can no longer connect my tablo?. Please help, I have tried everything. Running a tablo Quad with a roku 2.

Reboot your router, then Tablo, then Roku in that order.

So, as of right now, the beta and the preview Channel are the same version?

Correct, they are both v2.0 Build 15 right now.

New app looks great. Has come a long way. Missing recordings are back. Everything seems quicker. Bravo tablo. Haven’t had a reboot in awhile. But I still don’t fast forward much. I think I have just been lucky. I’ll take it.

It works on my Roku 4 with OS 7. The Roku OS 7 did update when I set it up. Is your OS 7 on Roku 3 or 4?

The new update seems to have some great new features, but I am a bit confused by the “Guide”. When you first bring up the Tablo channel (newer Preview channel) on my Roku 3, it list on the left side:

Live TV
Recordings

Guide
Scheduled

What exactly is the Guide showing me. I see all the tiles. I thought this was the guide for the next two weeks of live TV, but I see tiles (for instances America Got Talent) that show I have them scheduled to be recorded, which I did, but the show is over for the season. Why is it showing up on the guide?

I’m a little confused by one of the early comments. When I look at recordings, I only see an alphabetical listing. Should there be other sorting choices? If so, how do I get to them?

No sorting on preview version of roku app. Sorting choices on legacy riku app, chrome app, android app. Sorting should be coming soon to preview roku app

1 Like

I am also getting the very slow to load my recordings in the preview app. It seems very slow for me, I like the look of the recordings much better then the original app but everything just takes so much longer on it. Given I don’t have a router that can do 5Ghz and i am using a 2013 Roku 2. So that could be why it is slower for me.

I am also getting very slow load times when beginning a show and after FF through commercials after these updates for firmware and roku preview app…

The Roku 4 has a quad core processor. Can the Roku 2 do 5 GHz if you had it? I know the Roku LT 2700x can only do 2.4 GHz. The Roku 3 CAN do 5 GHz and should be on sale now that the Roku 4 is out. I’d suggest upgrading your router to 5 GHz if Roku and/or Tablo are wireless or have them wired. I know the Roku LT 2700x does not support wired but don’t know about Roku 2. The TP-LINK router that @TabloTV posted review by thewirecutter is excellent.

Just wanted to follow up on my experience and thoughts on this update. I am very happy with how it’s working. I strongly believe doing the factory reset of my Tablo along with deleting and reinstalling the apps on all of my viewing devices, while not convenient, has made all the difference. For me the updated Preview Channel is working very well now. Very smooth and quick. I periodically do a fresh install on our laptops to dump all the crap and it really makes a difference and so far it’s holding true for the Tablo reset. Using Tablo Exporter that @Jestep put together helped to save anything I felt important enough to save so if you’re having problems this might be something to consider. It’s a very slick set up he put together. Maybe get with Tablo support and let them check your database for problems. Mine became corrupt which can lead to a horrible viewing experience and it just kept getting worse. Who knows what caused it but it happened. There are those who have been fortunate enough to not have problems and this is certainly not meant for them. Just something to consider by those who haven’t been as fortunate. Hopefully, it might help someone.

For anyone who is seeing the slow load times, please try rebooting your router, Tablo and Roku in that order waiting 5 minutes in between each reboot. Make sure to click & release the reset button on your Tablo quickly - DO NOT hold it down.

Once that’s done, let us know if you continue to see the slowness and if so let us know what version of the channel you’re using (preview or public), what type of Roku (Roku 2, 3, 4?) and what firmware you’re running on your Tablo.