NEW Maintenance Firmware Release - 2.2.8

As others have mentioned, if we go back to 2.2.2 (or whatever it was) before the FF thumbnails, Tablo with my Roku never rebooted as far as I remember, and never showed an LPW. My network is exactly the same as it was back then. BUT, I would not want to go back to that functionality. I was one pushing hard for the FF thumbnails, as I find it essential.

I don’t think I should be looking at having to buy a different device like Nexus and spend money to replace my Rokus which are working perfectly fine with all other channels.

The problems do seem to come and go. Last night was a perfectly acceptable night of watching with only one LPW as I remember across three shows.

100% reproducible issues are the easy ones to fix. If it did it for every Roku they would have caught it in alpha testing. There is some other factor that brings out the bug. It could be a particular combo of devices on someones network, a particular HD model or firmware, hardware differences within the same Roku model, a flaw in some Tablos, or something else. It may even be a combo of things. As many have said, playback worked for them on older firmware releases so something in the newer releases is bringing this to the surface. It is possible that the bug existed before, but previous firmware versions did not trigger it.

2 Likes

@tremjo - Sorry to hear you’re having such a rough time. Please do touch base with us so we can give you a hand: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

N. Has the switch resolved all your prior issues as it has mine?

Joe, thank you so much for saying that. I suppose I should have started my own comment, rather than reply to the very last comment about the 2.2.8 firmware. Nonetheless, it had to do with the same topic.

You would think some of the users that post to the forum had all their life’s savings tied up in Tablo stock or something the way the give a pass on most shortcomings. Blaming it on the user or the user’s equipment is like Microsoft saying our software is great, if it doesn’t work on your computer that is your fault - too bad. I realize it is a monumental undertaking to get technology to adapt to almost countless combinations of hardware, but if that is the arena you decide to enter, then fight like a gladiator.

Again, I know that this time around I was pretty critical in my comments. I do find the product quite appealing and hope to continue to use it and support it.

You would think some of the users that post to the forum had all their soul’s saving tied up in television viewing or something the way they complain.

1 Like

I find all the blamesaying and fault searching to be an unproductive effort in futility. Enjoy your Corolla/Roku for what it does best and find a vehicle that runs smoothly on Tablo fuel. They are out there.
Light a candle or curse the darkness.

2 Likes

EXCUSE ME for having an opinion and for expecting something to work. You sure put me in my place. Apparently, that is the primary purpose of this forum for which I will not bother with any longer.

A round of chill pills for all… I’m buying!

1 Like

Might be your cables. Cheap cables can cause problems at high bit rates. I can tell you on my good runs I have no problems streaming 10Mbps 1080 with Tablo but some of my runs where there are known problems with the run like my master bedroom will only tolerate the 5Mbps bit rate without errors on Roku.

Ah you win the Lester B. Pearson award :innocent:

Isn’t the purpose of this forum to help find solutions? We are all trying to enhance our Tablo experience. If my suggestion offended you that was not the intent. Good luck in your quest.

2 Likes

Are you asking about my switch to using the Nexus for playback? If so, yes. All playback issues are gone and I can use the 10Mbps recording setting. This is not saying that the Nexus is a perfect device. I’ve had a couple lockup using other apps like Hulu or Pluto TV, but the Tablo playback has been night and day better than the current Roku state.

1 Like

Yes NP. I’ve had the same happy results. Seems many others have as well. It’s been a bumpy ride but the transition from Chromecast to NP has at last made my Tablo experience a thoroughly enjoyable one.

1 Like

Don’t need to shell out a fortune for a Mercedes, my Honda is humming along just dandy with a $50 fix from Nexus player. Think I’ll spend the money I saved on a new Ipad :slight_smile:

1 Like

@TabloTV I have been troubleshooting the Plex plug-in and why after the 2.2.8 update the plex plug-in won’t list recordings made after the 2.2.8 update. They are recorded, just not listed in the Plex plug-in. I have used the REST APIs to look at the meta data for the new recordings and the jsonFromTribune sections aren’t in the meta.txt file anymore. Is this intentional? If not, is there a fix coming?

Thanks

Could other wireless devices running at 2.4GHz be causing problems with Tablo or maybe Roku?

I have an old 2.4GHz cordless phone in my basement where if we use it in the same room while using my laptop the laptop loses its wifi connection. Hang up the phone or leave the room with the laptop and it reconnects. I also have a dlink security camera that causes a lot of interference with a different cordless phone also 2.4GHz. I’ve given up powering up the camera unless we’re out of town and want to connect to it remotely. And if I am remembering it correct I think the Roku was doing weird things while the camera was on. And no I don’t feel like plugging the camera in to test it with Tablo and Roku. Well unless someone here suggests it.

My router is a 2 channel, 2.4 and 5 GHz. I only use 2.4 for everything. 5 is only useable if you’re in the same room with the router. And seeing as Roku prefers 2.4 I’ll just leave it at that. My routers wireless channel is set to auto so it searches the cleanest channel. Not sure how well that works but I am one of the fortunate ones having very, very few issues with Tablo.

This is what apple says.

Microwave ovens: Using your microwave oven near your computer, Bluetooth device, or Wi-Fi base station may cause interference.

Direct Satellite Service (DSS): The coax cable and connectors
used with certain types of satellite dishes may cause interference.
Check the cable for damage and obtain newer cables if you suspect RF
leakage issues.

Certain external electrical sources such as power lines, electrical railroad tracks, and power stations.

2.4 GHz or 5 GHz phones: A cordless telephone that operates in
this range may cause interference with wireless devices or networks when used.

Video senders (transmitters/receivers) that operate in the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bandwidth.

Wireless speakers that operate in the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band.

Certain external monitors and LCD displays: Certain displays may
emit harmonic interference, especially in the 2.4GHz band between
channels 11 and 14. This interference may be at its worst if you have a
portable computer with the lid closed and an external monitor connected
to it. Try changing your access point to use 5 Ghz or a lower 2.4 GHz
channel.

Any other wireless devices that operate in the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz
bandwidth (microwaves, cameras, baby monitors, neighbors’ wireless
devices, and so on).

@MotobikeMan I keep waiting for someone to smack the hell out of @philsoft.

@Adam

Can you please refrain from posting unless it’s actually constructive? No part of your post is helpful to anyone.

Thanks.

2 Likes