NEW Maintenance Firmware Release - 2.2.8

I am NOT addressing @theuser86!!!

1 Like

@sodaman_2000 I know you weren’t addressing @theuser86. I was saying that I appreciate @Adam comments, but that I think that @theuser86 is generally helpful.

2 Likes

Thanks @getcashmoney

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Folks - I’ve had to say this waaaaaaaaaaaaay too often these days for a forum full of adult men, but can we please try to focus on the product and not spend time slinging mud at eachother?

Say what you’d like about the product or the company, but name calling and personal attacks are NOT allowed. We try to go easy on the moderation side but if you’re not willing to play by the rules we’ll ask you to leave.

5 Likes

I’m sure you meant to say “adult men and women”?

Hi @TabloTV

maybe I should have posted this here, I’m not too sure if it’s related to 2.2.8 that’s why I was hesitant but maybe we can discuss my sync topic instead? :slight_smile:

Continuing the discussion from Sync issue with Apple TV:

Adult men and a small handful of women… :slight_smile:

Adult men read serious books and journals…not play with electronic toys and gadgets… :relieved:

Spoken like a true diplomat…Lester B. Pearson would be proud.

Bashing of other members for any reason is inappropriate, so personally I’m thinking it’s time to take a harder stand on this area of moderation.

Just my 2 cents worth.

1 Like

Add wireless remotes thar aren’t IR to the list

I am running 2.2.8. I’ve been swapping emails with your support team. They have not asked for my logs.

Running 2.2.8 here now both on Roku 3 (wired) and Original Chromecast.

Really prefer the Roku interface, but do have some auto rewind issues and an occasional buffer or issue with the slow choppy feed. Not major and I can live with it for now at least.

Chromecast is actually a much smoother feed, even though Wireless N 2400, but I really don’t like the interface as much and miss the thumbnails.

I did folks, but I never got any reply from support. I realize I left very little encouragement for a reply. Just now watching on Legacy version and have had two buffers in 30 minutes followed by a FF freeze and Roku crash.

@TabloSupport I sent a support ticket in on December 3rd, and have still gotten no reply. My previous support ticket, I got not reply after 5 days, and you acknowledged me in the forum and handled it after I questioned no reply. You also said you could not find a record of my ticket then. My first support ticket, I got replies from several back and forth exchanges. Then after a a week or two, I replied back and never got a reply… I am wondering if my email address or ip may have been blocked…

For both of my recent tickets, I got an auto reply confirming its receipt. I don’t know why it wouldn’t be in your system, if your system is sending me an auto response to confirm it…

To my issues: 2.2.8 has definitely improved my experience… I upgraded to the 1080 8mb setting because it seemed so positive after a few Days… And then I started getting LPWs and the occasional reset… Still better than on 2.2.6, but still frustrating…

Some of the LPWs go into a “loop” where the same section will play over and over… I can FF beyond and it will play normal, and then a new section will loop.

I hate the idea that I have to downgrade to 720p 5mb to get tablo to “play nice” with roku (if that is the actual fix)… My network should handle 8mb fine… I can stream Amazon UHD shows with no issues…

So, I am thinking this may be an issue with how roku app is developed and/or interfacing with tablo…

Happy to let you have my logs. And also hoping there can be a resolution… Also hoping you can figure out why my support tickets are being ignored and/or not being included in your system… Thanks.

@jcraftatl The last note we have on file from you is Dec 1. Were you given a ticket # in your automated response? Please feel free to PM me the details.

To make note of what you’ve been experiencing above (and for anyone else wondering):

The fixes made in the 2.2.8 load were to address LPW issues specific to high bitrates on a hardwired connection. In all the testing we did both in our lab and with our beta testers, we were usually able to track down further buffering to network connectivity issues. This isn’t suggesting that your network isn’t up to par - keep in mind the Roku documentation itself recommends a max bitrate of 3.5Mbps.

We’ve managed to reproduce the looping behaviour you’ve noticed to a Roku video player issue, and we’re working to understand it further so that we can work around it. We’ll continue to look into further LPW issues on our end incase we’ve missed anything, but beyond this there’s no quick fix at the moment. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

@TabloSupport It is encouraging to know you have isolated the “looping behavior” and determined it is a “Roku video Player Issue”…

With my own observations, I might suggest the “Roku Video Player Issue” may also be responsible for some other issues around crashing, etc after FF… Once that looping behavior happens, a complete freeze is usually not too far away…

Last night, the looping began… and happened several times in a row after FF a little to get away from each previous loop… and then we finally finished the show, exited and loaded Netflix app… The “strange” thing was the issue seemed to remain in the Roku even after switching apps, as the first show we loaded in Netflix struggled to load, played for about 3 seconds and then froze… We had up unplug and reset the Roku… then no issues for the rest of the night on mostly Netflix, and one 30 minute tablo pre-recorded show… (likely a 720p show recorded before I changed quality settings)…

Anyway, glad you guys are tracking down the culprit… will PM for remaining.

I just wanted to chime in and say that so far 2.28 has been by far the best release I’ve had for my Roku.

The LPW’s have nearly all disappeared, even after updating to the highest bitrate. FF and RW times are now consistent, with no crashing on my Roku4. Picture quality is improved and smoother now that I can use the highest resolution and bitrate.

The only issue I am seeing, which I think is a Roku 4 issue, is that after using it for an hour or so, my Roku slows to unresponsive crawl, and I have to reboot it. This happens with other apps too, so it is not a Tablo issue.

Now, if you can take the 4 second wait time on a FF/RW down to a fraction of a second (near instantaneous) that would be perfect!

Does the LPW issue go away at lower bitrate? And does the resume time after FF also improve at a lower bitrate?

My bitrate has been at 5Mbps forever, and I currently am getting an average of about 1-2 LPWs per show that I watch.

Takes generally up to 5 seconds to reload after FF. Sometimes instant, sometimes takes a bit.

Tablo has been reasonably well behaved for me lately. I have never tried the full 1080 bitrates. A question I asked Tablo but did not receive a response, the bitrate I am at has (recommended) after it and whether Tablo does some network checking to determine an optimal rate or does everyone’s say recommended at the 5Mbps level?