NEW - Automatic Commercial Skip Server Update (September 2019)

Yes, I’m referring to the behavior continuing for episodes newer than the Monday following your update announcement.
For example, S11E4 recorded from Dallas 27-1 Sept 15 8:00pm CDT, completely missed the ad break at 25m.
S11E3 from 9/15 7:30pm started the middle ad break at 11m, 30 seconds early. It started the last ad break at 23m, about a minute early and finished that break about 30 seconds late.
S11E2 9/15 7:00 it got the middle ad break perfectly but the last ad break overshot nearly all the way through the last show segment (about 6 thumbnails too far).
S4E21 from 9/11 6:00pm on Dallas 27-1 got the middle ad break correct and the final ad break started at the correct spot, but it skipped from 24m to 29m, to the end of the show’s credits.
I like the feature overall (I’m NOT slamming it), there just seems to be something it’s struggling with in this show. I hope the algorithm can learn it rather than putting the show on the naughty list :slightly_smiling_face:

Tx for confirming! We’re already taking a peek at @DrJack’s recordings (same show, same broadcast area) but I’ll add your 2 cents re: the skip at the end of the episode since that should have seen an improvement.

Overall the changes seem to be good.

One question I had was when I watch the beginning of a show when it’s recording, is it supposed to stop the commercial skip function at the completion of the recording? I found that if I watch the beginning just to make sure the channel is coming in clear, it seems to omit the CS process.

That shouldn’t be the case. What does the commercial skip process ‘reason’ say?

I tried last night and it acted as it should. I watched a few minutes of a show as it was recording then waited until the end. It commercial skipped as expected. So maybe before it had a weak signal or something and wasn’t able to do it. I’ll keep an eye and report back if I experience it again along with the reason it’s reporting.

1 Like

The team has been reviewing commercial skip data since the recent update and we are happy to say that both Judge Judy and Big Brother have been granted pardons and will no longer be ineligible for automatic commercial skip processing.

As we continue to make improvements, we hope to continue to whittle the list of ineligible programs down.

Enjoy!

1 Like

I find myself saying the obvious on the “external internet” because I don’t want to come back and explain to people that just don’t get it.

@TabloTV. My wife thanks you for the Big Brother update and would like to see the ability to also skip intros to TV shows like the do on Netflix. Most intros aren’t too bad but there are some that are both annoying and long.

Good work Tablo team!

1 Like

I’m stunned.

Because ReplayTV did it accurately, on the fly inside the box, 15 years ago. So I know it’s a known technology.

Who here would pay extra for beefier hardware that could better handle the hard drive power requirements, AND the processor required to do this task on board, locally?

1 Like

Apparently TMZ is on the secret ineligible list and any channel, meaning sub-channel, where a commercial appears to the CS/DSP algorithm to be one commercial of 120 seconds or longer may go unprocessed.

Since football, MLB playoff, and the start of basketball are upon us, wake me up in the spring. I don’t see putting a whole tablo unit in CS mode to process all the sports.

Would you pay $600+ before subscription?

Every time I pause for a couple of minutes or if I stop and then come back, it does not resume but rather starts at the beginning. I spend the next 5 minutes trying to figure out where I was at in the show.

If it’s the tablo preview app 1.7.2 then the information is in that thread.

I just tried recording a few of our network programs. The first since the commercial skip server update. Of the three programs just recorded, ALL failed the commercial skip upload. This feature was previously working fairly well. Besides no clue as to WHY or WHAT went wrong, there is apparently no way to have it try again.
Anyone else having any issues with this?

Thanks

I don’t know why folks are having such a problem with CS. I’m in Bellevue, NE which is about 10 miles south of Omaha, NE. Now that I have a rooftop omnidirectional antenna, I have 99% of my shows get completely processed with CS and I record numerous shows weekly.

I live ~13 miles SE of my ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS towers, ~15 miles NE of my FOX/CW towers, and ~11 miles SW of another one of my PBS towers. With my rooftop antenna, I get 100% signal strength on all five primary channels as well as all of their subchannels.

I think the only time I don’t get a show with CS completed on it is when I have a really good thunderstorm in the area which can cause some signal disruption. Other than that, I haven’t had to sit through a commercial since I installed my antenna over a month ago.

I’d have to say that if you’re not getting CS completed on any of your shows to check your channels’ signal strength and maybe even do a rescan of your signals.

BTW, I’m using one of the original Quad tuner models, so it’s not like I’m using new hardware or anything . . .

Good luck!

So how long before the networks demand this not be Automatic as in you must press a button to get it to skip much like the competition does. I’m in the process of trying to get rid of DirecTV which I’ve had since around 1993 and I have to say the commercial skip on the Tablo is the only thing selling my wife on the Tablo so far. Also I’ve had lots of issues related to CBS 5 in my area which of course made her feel the device is junk. Commercial skip is winning her back over. She despises commercials.

I’ve been seeing an issue with commercial skip starting a little too early sometimes. The most recent example is last night’s (10/11) Fresh off the Boat on 6 ABC. The second commercial break skip started about 6 seconds too early, cutting off some dialog that I had to rewind to watch. I have the episode on my Tablo still, if you’d like to take a look.

I had a simpletons I mean Simpsons episode do the same thing a week or so ago. CS is still in Beta, so these kind of things are expected. I suppose it doesn’t hurt to report such things, not sure if they’ll read this or not.