New AppleTv announced today

So from Apple.com, it states that you can control the volume of the TV and you can turn “the TV” on or off. You’ll need a compatible TV with HDMI-CEC. I just looked this up and supposedly by 2009 TV has HDMI-CEC, my Chrome-cast can automatically switch inputs so I guess this verifies HDMI-CEC.

Here is the question, How does one turn the Apple TV & “the TV” on or off?

This is huge for people who want to use only the Apple interface and not have to worry about switching inputs. (I have a Tablo, they are working on support, the apple TV would be a game changer, I’d chuck my Roku out the window)

That’s part of HDMI-CEC. After you have set it up, turning on the Apple TV will cause your TV to turn on and pick the correct input.

Thanks, I guess I was more interested in the button sequence to turn it on or off. I haven’t seen a hands on that goes over this or shows the TV turning on them off.

With a non-tech significant other, this all in one remote would simplify things greatly.

Would love to see Tablo on new Apple TV – would definitely make me want to pick one up even more

The way CEC works is to turn on the TV when the device is turned on. For example, if I turn on my blu-ray player, my TV is turned on via HDMI. Next, since my receiver is used by the TV to play audio, the TV turns the receiver on via HDMI, chooses the correct input for the blu-ray player (which is connected to the receiver) and transfers the audio. Any volume commands sent to the TV (up, down, mute) are redirected to the receiver.

The new remote actually has a TV button, so it’s very likely you’ll just push that button. If one pushed another button to turn on the Apple TV (e.g., the menu button), we don’t know at this point if the Apple TV would send the signal to turn on the TV.

So, short answer, no sequence, one button. What I can’t tell you is whether or not the CEC really will be interoperable. My experience is that older devices are less likely to be compatible across brands.

Thanks! I see there is a “Menu” and the TV button is a “home” button. Hopefully this sequence will work to also turn off the TV and the Apple TV. I know its a small detail but at my house having two remotes isn’t ideal. (Universal remotes are a bit too complicated and way too many buttons). If this works to turn the TV on & OFF, this can be a game changer (atleast at my house) :smile: .

Again, no promises that it will really work for you, but the spec works for off also. Turning off the Apple TV should turn off the TV (which should turn off the receiver). In this case, off should be hitting that TV button.

cool, crossing my fingers my TV is compatible. Its from 2009 but was top of the line then. Thanks for your input on this.

FYI - In case you guys missed the blog post: https://www.tablotv.com/blog/exciting-apple-updates-more-choice-cord-cutters/

2 Likes

Looking forward to an Apple TV Tablo app!!! Hopefully it’s something that will not take too long.

@TabloTV

How’s the AppleTV app development going? :smile:

Anything you can share with us?

@DaveG - We’re working away on the app but it’s still early to share any updates. Tablo is a complex beast so prepping for a new platform requires a lot of work.

2 Likes

Did apple send you a demo unit to test with?

Yes!

We’ve got that in house as well as all of the supporting documentation. Now we just need some time to build the app.

1 Like

Nice! Happy building!

1 Like

I can’t wait, Roku has so many issues. Im ready to switch

Be careful what you wish for. Below is a link about the progress of the new roku app from November 2014. It could turn out to be like the gestation period of an elephant. Check in 22 months to see if the app is complete and working properly.

TabloTV  Nov '14

@roraniel
  • The dev team is working away on it steadily and making good progress.
    Everything has to be done from scratch so it’s time/effort intensive
    but the outcome will be spectacular. We can’t wait to get it in your
    hands but there’s a ways to go yet.

xxxx cccc xx cc

1 Like

Can I use it to schedule recordings over the next 14 days and manage my tablos? Or can it only be used for the TV grid and recordings? I kind of remember the promise of WEB app functionality.