New Apple TV Tablo App

Id rather wait and not have a crashy POS app… TYVM…

Since they showed it at CES I don’t see why at least a beta has not been released by now. Kodi plugin wasn’t shown at CES yet does have a beta currently.

It may have only been a limited mock-up canned response prototype …

Is the Tablo developer team attending the WWDC 2016 keynote on June 13th and will Tablo be making an announcement that day regarding the Tablo app tvOS?

I hope not. June 13th would be a week before summer begins. As it is now, I would have preferred @TabloTV announced that the app was coming out “before summer” instead of “in spring.” Both will (hopefully) be technically true, but one better prepares the client base’s expectations.

The end of Spring is coming very soon. I’ve held off on purchasing a Tablo awaiting the much anticipated native app for Apple TV. Right now, for all intents and purposes, the app is vaporware; neither hardware nor software nor firmware. In addition, I’m concerned about all of the issues that keep cropping up in this “community forum”. It would seem that Tablo is not quite ready for prime time.

What are you talking about when you call it “vaporware”? There is hardware that supports the Apple TV app, the Tablo DVR. They have updated firmware to support the upcoming Apple TV native app release, so all that is missing is the app software itself.

Give them a couple of weeks until they miss the deadline till you pass judgment on whether or not Tablo is ready for prime time.

You will always see issues on forums. Not many people come to a forum, create an account, just to post about their positive experience. Negative experience is always more heavily represented on forums.

3 Likes

How true…

another way to say forums are usually the “vocal minority” of a given population… there is a vast majority of silent very happy people …

Do you have to post on every single part of this thread? You haven’t even described what specifically your bad experience has been. Have you checked to make sure your network is set up properly? Did you even understand what you were buying before you spent $1400 on a system?

2 Likes

It works fine as a cord cutting product … its not however a one push button set it and forget it solution… there is a little prep work and some other things that need to be taken into account… most people are not in an idyllic “sweet spot” for OTA tv reception also sometimes due to geographic location or environmental situations it may not work well (i.e. you are in a valley and the OTA signals simply can not reach or it may not be practical or possible to setup the correct sort of antenna and/or amplifier to get the reception needed) which antenna/amp setup that is correct for you is not a one solution fits all either, you have to do a little bit of research and find out what sort of antenna setup is required for exactly where you are located. Using old home cable tv wiring with dozens of splitters in-line wont help either, often removal of the old wires and running new cabling to the tablo is also the better thing to do to avoid signal loss from the antenna. Another problem is if you have networking equipment thats several years old or subpar you may have transmission problems sending 1080p/720p video signals consistently throughout your home or remote location the hardware/processor in the router simply may not have enough bandwidth to handle continuous streaming of video (also having gigbit capable routers and using direct wired connections with the right cabling vs using 100% wifi can also make a huge difference, are nearby neighboors using the same wifi channel as you? are you getting interference from them? is there a microwave oven located between the wifi base station and where you are trying to playback? etc…)… TABLO works fine, you just have to be aware of what you are buying and whats required as dustinsc says. There are a few factors that need to be considered, folks who are non technical may struggle with some or many of these issues which is always why contacting tablo support is a good idea if you are not skilled in these areas and are having problems.

I myself try to use as little wifi as possible, I use direct wired connections and where not possible I use Powerline adaptors to route wired network connections over my home AC wiring…