New Apple TV Plex App and Tablo Channel

Really loving the new Apple TV experience. The possibilities are very exciting. I had downloaded the Simplex Apple TV app and it was able to access my Plex server.
Just now Plex released their official app that supports channels and of course the Tablo channel is right on the top of my list.
I will follow up with my co tinted experience.

Best,
Simeon

Quick update.
It seems that my loading times are really slow trying to playback from the Tablo channel.

My Plex server is actually on a Seagate Personal Cloud NAS device which might not have all of the horsepower it needs to process everything from the Tablo and pass it through in a robust way.

Well this is just a start of good things to come.
Best,
Simeon

I tried out the Plex app on the new Apple TV and the Tablo channel.
I tried to watch Supergirl but the picture was so fuzzy and pixelated I gave up.

On my Roku 3 the same show looked great.

I tried live TV on the Apple TV/Plex and it looked fine.

Why would a recorded show look so bad?

What if your plex server was a mac mini…? what do you think …

I tried out the Plex app on the new Apple TV and the Tablo channel.
I tried to watch Supergirl but the picture was so fuzzy and pixelated I gave up.

On my Roku 3 the same show looked great.

I tried live TV on the Apple TV/Plex and it looked fine.

Why would a recorded show look so bad?

You might want to check the bitrate settings on the Plex App. That might make the difference. Also check your network to see if there are not any bottlenecks bringing the stream down.

Simeon

Morning Update:
I checked the Tablo Plex Channel on my MacBook Safari browser as well as my Roku 3 and they both performed great. This tells me there might be something still buggy in the Apple TV Plex App regarding channels.

The Tablo Plex Channel on ATV4 just seemed to just hang like it was buffering or trying to figure out what it wanted to do ;^)

Other recordings on the Plex server played back fine on the Apple TV 4.

Watch this space!!!

Best,
Simeon

Did you experience any video quality issues on the Apple TV with Tablo recorded shows?

I used the Tablo Exporter program to send my TABLO recordings to my Plex server which is running on a Seagate Personal Cloud NAS and they playback fine with exceptional video quality on all of my platforms including the Apple TV 4.

The problem is that the TABLO Plex Channel will not playback on Apple TV 4 and iPad Air2. This tells me there might be something wrong with the CHANNEL implementation on the iOS and tvOS side of things.

Simeon

I have the Tablo channel up and running on Plex on my ATV4 but the picture quality is terrible. It streams just fine but it looks pixelated and blocky. Other streams on Plex are fine, and the Tablo recordings and such play fine through Airplay so I am thinking either machines settings are fine and the Plex playback options are fine because everything from movies to History channel plays great through it. I am wondering if it is an implementation problem with the Plex and ATV4 as mentioned above.

1 Like

That’s what I experienced as well.

I had the same issue using the Tablo channel in the Plex app on the new Apple TV. Picture quality was bad, slow, pixalated. Therefore I just went back to airplay which works fine. Using the Plex app to select from my Tablo recordings was only a temporary thing until the Tablo app for the new apple TV is developed.

Sounds like the PLEX MEDIA SERVER is transcoding the source video… try (for laughs) setting your PLEX client (on the appletv) to maximum bandwidth thats offered and see if the issue goes away.

I thought the same thing, as it appears that Plex thinks it needs to transcode recorded content. I’ve bumped my bitrate settings up to 20Mb in the Plex client for local and remote content and the experience is still the same. As for live TV, I am seeing frequent short pauses/skips. I haven’t dug into the Plex side to see what logging says about transcoding. Prior to ATV4 I was using Plexconnect to hijack the trailers app on ATV3 and play the Tablo channel which worked like a champ on both live and recorded content. A little disappointed that the native Plex app is not performing as well. Looking forward to a native Tablo app though.

I am not able to get any video to stream no matter what bitrate is chosen. I did see something interesting though on the iPad app that it does seem that the Plex iOS app is trying to transcode everything. Since I am running my Plex Server from my Seagate Personal Cloud transcoding is not something that can handle.
I make sure I have everything encoded in a way that transcoding would not be necessary (MP4.264). This works fine on every other platform.
it looks like the iOS app is ignoring “allow direct play” to just bypass the transcoding option.

Best,
Simeon

Try turning on the Direct Stream setting in the Pled app under Settings/Advance, if these are available to you.

Things are working fine now. I think there was an update to the Plex iOS App and the fixes were passed through to Apple TV.

It is really amazing to be able to use Tablo without having to rely on the iPad. This will keep me happy until we can start testing the native Apple TV Tablo App.