My Primary internet is phone hotspot but tablo wants to only connect through router

My Primary internet is phone hotspot but tablo wants to only connect through router.
So it works but it is very annoying to have to go to settings every time to select the router to use Tablo. My phone is connected to my router as a hotspot but I never stream video that way because it is too slow. So I constantly have to go back and forth in network settings to get it to work.

When I got the tablo I thought great it is wireless but that is only partly true.
Can’t get it to work well for me.

I guess you’re typing on your phone, because I find it hard to make sense of what you’re saying. :slight_smile:

Tablo won’t connect directly to your phone - that’s not how it was designed. I know I was trying to set up my Tablo during a rare Internet outage and I gave up trying to use a cellphone hotspot. Just wouldn’t work ( or I lacked the smarts to make it work). Apart from that, I’ve not tried all the various permutations of what people may or may not be trying to do.

And wireless isn’t the same as WiFi, Tablo connects wireless over WiFi, but it still needs both sides to conform to those protocols and in some instances, Tablo needs to call “home” to Tablo HQ.

1 Like

I’m not sure but it sounds as if your Tablo is setup on your router’s network & you need to reset it & set it up on your phone’s hotspot network.

Let’s see if I understand.
You have connected your phone to your router so that other devices connected to the router can share your phones connection. That makes your phone the “internet gateway”.

This part I don’t understand.

“I never stream video that way because it is too slow. So I constantly have to go back and forth in network settings to get it to work.”

How do you stream the video and on what device?

Question: when you’re trying to set up the Tablo on your phones hot spot, what device are you running the Tablo app for setup on?

What you should try doing is turn on your phone’s hotspot. Access the Tablo setup on a device other than the one you’re using for the hotspot (so a different phone, computer, tablet etc).

You won’t be able to run the setup on the same phone you’re using for the hotspot as your phones wifi can’t both project wifi and receive wifi at the same time (which is needed to setup the Tablo).

it is not recommended by official Tablovians, but imho Tablo should work OK in home over hotspot although may require prodding/reinit/re-sync. Streaming over the hotspot to a remote site might work especially on the lowest tablo video-data-rate-setting 500k or 750k or whatever, like if you leave your hotspot at home and use an an ipad or device at a remote place with free wifi. Tablo should be able to get its guide info just fine via hotspot, often enough. ps - Amazon Fire TV Recast looks to be potentially ideal for those without hardwire/broadband ; seems it uses the OTA guide from antenna only (?!) . Or maybe it is flexible enough to use an online guide plus the OTA guide and announce which is “default” or ask user whassup if any discrepancy? We will see…