Tablo is an amazing idea and they made so many good choices when implementing the idea.
- Don’t include the hard drive, keeps the price down and lets each user decide how much storage they need
- Make it compatible with everyone’s existing hardware (Roku etc) more cost savings for me and Tablo. I already own four Rokus so this is great!
- The setup process was flawless and only took a few minutes.
- I love that it works as a whole house DVR.
- I am not forced to purchase a subscription (more savings!)
- It is a bit slow but that’s not a big deal (I hope they survive to produce a faster version in the future)
- In the past I had to split my antenna feed to multiple TV’s, that made the signal weaker. With the Tablo I no longer need to split the antenna feed I have one feed to the Tablo and then Ethernet to all the Roku boxes, it’s perfect!
- The Web app works well and basically adds TV to all the computers in the house as a bonus.
I have issues with the Roku functionality.
I have 30 days to evaluate this hardware and they give me a free 30 subscription to their guide service. Since I do not intend to pay for this service in the future I would like to evaluate the hardware without the service. Is there a way to cancel the guide service immediately?
I just want to be able to sit down in front of my TV with my remote and program my DVR to record but I can’t find a way to set a manual recording from my couch. It appears that I am forced to go to my computer to accomplish that task. Am I missing something? Is there a way to set up a manual recording using just my Roku remote?
After selecting a channel how do I go back to the channel menu. The only way I have found is to press the home button which takes me all the way back to the Roku home screen, all I wanted to do was select a different channel.