Moving your recordings to a new Tablo

In regards to this article https://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/213345486-Moving-your-recordings-to-a-new-Tablo , do I need to connect the new tablo and update it to the latest firmware first so both are on the same firmware? I usually connect via wifi, so I’m guessing after connecting and updating to the new firmware I will then have to do a factory reset on the new tablo, then start on step one?

Ok, just did the transfer and it went off like a hitch with no problems. Both need to be on the same firmware so just make sure you connect the new one to wifi or ethernet and upgrade to the latest firmware (if your previous one was on the latest). Then do a factory reset. Then plug in your Ethernet and power in that order and attach the USB drive. When you get the blue solid light it’s all transferred. You should then be able to connect via browser and should see all your recordings and schedule maintained. Thanks Tablo for making it easy.

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear someone got something to work the way it’s suppose to, with little to no problems. I’ve passed that link on to others before, noting I wasn’t familiar with anyone’s success story - although I’m sure there are/were.

1 Like

The instructions were not very clear to me. Here are the steps with my notes added:
Moving your recordings to a new Tablo – Tablo .zopim { display: none !important }

Step 1: Reboot your original Tablo with the USB drive attached using the blue reset button on the back of the Tablo. Wait for the Tablo’s blue LED to go solid. This can take up to ~2 minutes.

Step 2: Remove the USB drive from your original Tablo and set it aside.

Step 3: Attach a new Ethernet cable and power (in that order) to your new Tablo. You need to have both of the Tablos connected to your router at the same time.

Step 4: After your Tablo’s LED is solid, attach your USB drive to your new Tablo.

Step 5: After a few seconds (minutes) your Tablo’s LED will begin pulsing. This is at a different cadence then what you see when it is booting up or cannot find an Ethernet connection.

Step 6: It took over 1 hour to sync. I left it alone and came back after a while. Once it is solid blue, you should be good. Remember that you will want to Delete the old Tablo from the Connect screen. On my Firestick, it was the top Tablo. This takes a few minutes to delete as well.

Once you pull up the new Tablo it will go into the sync mode. Again, this was very slow for me - 30 minutes plus. I have 3 Amazon Firesticks and you have to do the delete and sync for each of them.

Also you will need to set up the port redirect for the new unit. I logged into the router and did a static IP for the new unit and then set up the port redirect.

Hope this helps. Bill

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to share this.

Chas