Move USB Harddrive to New Tablo (LEGACY)

I’ve been using a legacy 2-tuner Tablo w/ a USB hard-drive plugged into it. I have lots of recordings that I don’t want to lose. I bought a new 4-tuner legacy Tablo and was wondering if I can just plug that same hard-drive into the 4-tuner USB port and be on my way watching those recordings.

We’re NOT talking about 4th generation. I don’t have one of those.

Has anyone actually successfully done this? No guesses please.

Thx,

And for those of you who might think it’s funny to reply, “I guess you could do it…” Someone’s already beat you to it on numerous other threads, and it wasn’t funny then.

I’ve never tried it, but here’s a Tablo support article describing how to do it.

3 Likes

I saw that article, but I couldn’t tell if it meant swapping hard-drives or somehow transferring the data from an old drive to a new one. Thx.

That article is for you - it’s about moving your drive to your newer (legacy) Tablo. However, all the steps are important, especially Step 1, so be careful!

1 Like

I went back to that article, and as I’m sure you know, that was the correct procedure. Thank you. The previous owner had not reset the Tablo, and I had unfortunately already ‘setup’ my new Tablo w/ a channel scan, so I had to go to this article and reset it first: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/207989853 . Ironically, I found that the more difficult process. You really have to follow that one to the letter. And then I was able to swap hard-drives, and now I have a four-tuner model.

tl;dr
BTW, I had bought a 4th gen but quickly gave up on it. I’m not sure if it was just the Roku channel software or the device as well, but I gave up on it as it was complete crap. Perhaps to someone who has never experienced a legacy Tablo, it might seem okay, but the 4th gen seems like it was created by a completely different company than the legacy devices. Also, things might work better with a different front-end device like a Firestick or whatever Google has. Just be careful if you’re going to upgrade.

2 Likes

I think that’s exactly what has happened. Even though the core staff at Tablo are probably the same, the edicts under which they are operating appear to have diverged from what they were.

2 Likes

However, now that I am trying to play some of my recordings the next day, the Tablo reports that they cannot be played back. So, it looks like I have in fact lost all of my recordings.

All may not be lost. I’ve done these things, long time ago, and understand what’s going on. If you haven’t formated your drive and your original tablo is in tact.

The new one needs to be factory reset, on the same firmware as the original, likely a minimal version as stated in article.

It tells you to reboot the original tablo with the drive via the blue button. Important! This process creates a backup of the the all the data stored in it’s DB internally and saves it to the drive.

This is why you need a “fresh” factory reset tablo. First it looks for the backed up DB (ok, maybe not first but early in setup) and restores it to the “new” tablo. With all the interal data intact it can find all your recordings on the drive.

If you haven’t given up, you might be able to give it a another try understanding what’s going on… maybe. If you’ve left the drive attached, nightly maintenance may have cleaned up what is sees as orphaned recordings (this is unclear).

Disclaimer: This may not be absolute. I haven’t dug into my tablo’s like this for several years. I may have overlooked something. Processes may have have been modified, sometimes they edit articles keeping the original date. good luck

It tells you to reboot the original tablo with the drive via the blue button. Important! This process creates a backup of the the all the data stored in it’s DB internally and saves it to the drive.

Yes! That’s why I emphasized Step 1.

Tablo Support may yet be able to help you. They helped me in a similar situation, but you should contact them before fiddling further :-/