Manually Adding Channels

Very true. An overdriven signal can be just as bad as a weak one.

Anywhere from 1 to 6 weeks but they eventually get Gracenote to add it.

Most of the channels in my area all come from one antenna farmā€¦ Iā€™m not getting the NBC channel. My vote is manually add. Its my tough luck if I am stupid enough to add something the Tablo canā€™t seeā€¦ but at least let me add it and visually confirm it really is a bad reception issue. I could then tweak my antenna to see if I could get it to come in. Please donā€™t protect us from ourselves. IMO that game only hurts the power users.

EDIT: from the same farm, from rescan to rescan I also am often missing FOX. when it shows up it has 5 dots. so I donā€™t think this is a case of a weak channel. I guess I need to read more about the concept of an over-driven channel.

EDIT2: I just turned my antenna 30 degrees away from the proper direction, and now they all show up in the same scan.

Sure sounds like itā€™s over-driving the tuner. How far away are these transmitters?

Not all my channels come in from the same general direction, and it is not always possible to get all the channels available in a single scan. I want to add a request to be able to add individual channels. Alternatively, at least, have an option to scan and only add to the existing channel list. In my opinion, it is best to have the option to watch the channel, than not have the option. I would like to be the judge of whether the channel is watchable or not. I would not like to leave the decision to an algorithm, and not provide a choice. I humbly suggest to the people in this blog to also review their Tablo unit in other blogs (such as Amazon) and mention the lack of this feature. I did not know about this issue until after I bought it. I assumed it was like the Windows Media Center, but it is not.

1 Like

I believe it more to the decision of a tuner receiving a signal it can processā€¦ adding a channel a tuner canā€™t process, well thatā€™s a bit pointless.

Nevertheless, for a variety of reasons, itā€™s been requested and asked for and wondered about ā€“ along with some indication of signal strengthā€¦ so you know if you should bother adding a channel.

Please add this feature. This feature is critical for anyone that doesnā€™t live in a metropolitan areas.
I am having a similar problem with a TCL TV and a USB Tuner. Strangely, I have a 10+ year old DTV converter box that will allow you to scan individual channels and add them without a signal.

I live in the deep fringe. I have zero line of sight to the towers. Channels are not always available or in the same direction. I just purchased the largest UHF yagi antenna I could find. It is extremely directional. I will be using a rotor. I cannot use the TabloDVR without this feature.

@TabloTV Having the Scan function retain previously scanned channels would work.

1 Like

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/how-to-antenna-ota-signals-multiple-directions/
[scroll down to find]

What to Avoid: Antenna Rotors (or Rotators)

Then you should not be using a Tablo (as a DVR).

Iā€™m using it as a networked tuner with DVR functionality.
As a networked tuner with a DVR, I donā€™t have to run coax to 4 rooms and we can access the antenna and shows on SmartTVs, tablets, phones, and, laptops.

The way the tuners Scan function works isnā€™t related to the DVR. As long as I have my antenna is pointed SouthEast I get most of the stations. The DVR will work fine as long as the antenna is point in that direction while shows are being recorded.

It will probably work well for that. I believe any/all ā€œrequestā€ are open to submissionā€¦

Your request was more generalized, thatā€™s what all the feedback was likely about. Note the product page: https://www.tablotv.com/products/ as itā€™s marketed as a DVR first, those request probably take priority. Enjoy your tablo ā€“ it is a great device for what it is.

I know. I was just adding myself to this feature request. This request has been open for 5 years.
I guess I just donā€™t understand why software developers for OTA products omit this feature.
This used to the norm in all TVs and external tuners.

Iā€™m not just talking about the TabloDVR devs either. Iā€™m talking about a lot of the built in TV tuners, USB Tuners, Network Tuners, OTA DVRs, and most media center software (Plex, Kodi,WinTv, etc) . This feature is missing from most of them.

Iā€™m already reached out to quite a few of them. Most of them respond with the canned response:
ā€œWeā€™ll pass it on to the appropriate peopleā€

Tablo in this thread mentioned that they could have the scan feature retain previously scanned channels. This would satisfy everyone in this thread. That was 4 years ago.

For USB tuners I did find the software SichboPVR. It will allow you to manually add channels and even try to lock onto individual channels/frequencies.

From what I can tell most of the DTV Tuner Boxes have the feature. Of course you have to have coax and a DTV Tuner at each TV.

Itā€™s likely products are not designed for the general public they are marketed for. There once was a demographic finding VCRs just too complex to even stop the clock from flashing, much less program a schedule.

Request often come along [paraphrased with sarcasm] ā€œI have to move to use tablo, make it work with Alexa/GoogleHomeā€, ā€œIt only plays 1 (a single) showā€¦ then I have to do stuff to play another ā€“ make to play continuously)ā€

In to past, Iā€™ve use a PC for a DVRā€¦ needed to scan for channels and create dvb-channels.conf (or similar depending or version or platform) and easily edited the test file naming are rearranging things to suit meā€¦

What about streaming software like gstreamer [ Gstreamer basic real time streaming tutorial] using dvbsrc for example. VLC has similar function as well - Documentation:Streaming HowTo/Stream a DVB Channel

ā€œYou canā€™t always get what you want, But if you try sometime, Well you might find -
You get what you needā€

1 Like

Thank you for all the advice. Iā€™ll check all those out.

I donā€™t even have my Tablo yet (should arrive tomorrow), but I would like to have the manual rescan. One PBS station in my area broadcast on rf channel 6 which means I use a separate VHF antenna to pull it in. It doesnā€™t show up on a rescan with ny usual antenna, and some of the other channels donā€™t show up if I scan while connected to the VHF antenna.

There is no automatic rescan, you have to manually initiate a channel [re]scan

Why donā€™t you use a combiner to put both antennas on the same cable?

My bad! I meant ā€œmanual channel addā€, not ā€œmanual rescanā€.

I have tried a combiner in the past (without the Tablo obviously) without much success. I currently use a coaxial switch to change antennas. I might have better luck if I used a better quality combiner. I was going to try the Channel Master combiner, but I see they have discontinued it. Can you recommend another?

You might need to use a notch filter in combination with the combiner to make sure the antennas arenā€™t stepping on each other. I donā€™t have a brand to recommend, but Iā€™d go to http://solidsignal.com and see what they recommend.