Low volume from Tablo

Also have a Sammy 50" 4K. Just got Roku Ultra for that TV and moved the Streaming Stick+ to the bedroom. Upon setup, the Ultra (under Display Type) was telling me it couldn’t do 4K because it was only showing HDCP 1.4 or something. My old “high speed” HDMI cable was apparently not high speed enough. Make sure you have an HDMI cable that passes all of the correct signaling. It should be certified for HDCP 2.2.
Ideally I think it’s 4K@60Hz, 18Gbps (not 10.2), HDR, HDCP 2.2 and I think Mine is YUV 4:4:4

Bought a new cable (actually 2 of them, 6 footers, from Amazon for $12) and everything basically fixed itself.

1 Like

Aha … I will check that (the HDMI cable) … I just used my old one - don’t know if it is 4K HDMI cable … I would guess the one that Roku supplied with the unit IS up to spec? If not, I can get one from Amazon. Can you send the link to the one you got and DOES work correctly (6’ would be the length I would need too) . Thanks !!!

HDMI cables

Those are the ones I got. I have older ones with similar braided sheaths and these are far more flexible than those older ones. I also have some super thin cables I got from MonoPrice with Redmere technology for the longer runs (I think I used a 15 ft cable from the TV ARC to the A/V receiver)

But the linked ones appear to be good build quality and they work great.

1 Like

I have surround sound enabled and the Tablo volume is still considerably lower than other sources. I understand that Tablo doesn’t want to startle people/wake up babies with a higher than normal volume. However, I’m still getting startled with a high volume with this current setting when I watch something after using Tablo.

2 Likes

I’ve now had my Tablo for less than 24hrs and am pretty disappointed in the audio coming out of it. Even when recording with 5.1, the audio levels are consistently 10dB lower than OTA broadcasts not through the Tablo, or any other audio source (essentially anything else my phone, or nvidia sheild can play). Even when the raw file is ripped off the tablo with available opensource software, its low. Its not anyones playback devices that are a problem, its the tablo itself.

https://www.tablotv.com/warranty-returns/

Nuvyyo Direct Purchase Return Policy

End-User Customers who buy Nuvyyo’s products directly from Nuvyyo, may return them to Nuvyyo up to 30 days after they are received for a refund of the product purchase price (we cannot refund shipping charges). Returns will not be accepted on refurbished units

BestBuy and Amazon have similar policies.

You may open a support ticket - https://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new or other methods to contact tablo https://www.tablotv.com/ask-tablo/

If I’m not wrong, 10dB is 50% lower.

Personnally, I don’t perceive any differences in volume between OTA sources but I have maybe a 20% lower volume with what I’m getting with streaming sources.

yea, thats why Im disappointed, Its hard to believe how quiet it is. Watching a show off the Tablo, if I dont turn the volume way down before I exit, even the AndroidTV system sounds are deafening. I’ll keep doing some testing, but I might end up shipping it back to Ottawa. Although the unit I got from Tablo was also dusty, and had red ink on the reset button on the back and had two quick start guides… they’ve told me its not a refurb, but maybe a 30 day guarantee return, isnt classified as refurb.

Heres an Audio Comparison with non-tablo source up top, and tablo at the bottom. Adding the 10db boost in Davinci Resolve equalizes it.

Been complaining about LOW SoOUND for OVER FIVE YEARS. Tablo REFUSES to amplify the sound a couple of notches to make it equal to everything else.

I also have problem on TV with 7.4 being lower than everything else including the 7.1 thru 7.6 with the exception of 7.4.

There are some cool free cellphone apps to help you quantify in db just what the difference in live audio vs recorded audio on the Tablo.

Be sure you are doing a 1:1 A:B comparison of the live and recorded playback devices and paths.

I have the same issue. Using Roku, I switch from YouTube or Netflix to Tablo and the volume is much softer on Tablo. I agree with a low / high setting would be great and let the user decide.

1 Like

+1 vote.

I’ve noticed the same issue. Sound on Tablo is much lower than any other Roku Channel.

I had briefly tried a AirTV device and that was the first thing I noticed was that its volume was normal compared to the Tablo device.