Loading Please Wait related to Max Recording Quality Setting

Hello All-

Brand new to Tablo- had mine a couple of days. Tablo is wireless to Roku 3 wireless.

I haven’t recorded anything yet- just watching live TV for now.

I’ve noticed I get zero “loading, please wait” messages if my max recording quality is set to the lowest setting, 480 SD.

However, as soon as I change to a higher recording quality I get the LPW message.

The higher the recording quality I change to, the more frequent the LPW message appears.

So I really can’t watch anything above 480 (even 720 produces the LPW once every minute or so…)

I am not tech savvy at all- any thoughts on this? I would like to watch in at least 720…

Many thanks,

Edit

I can actually watch live TV with relatively no LPW messages on the second to lowest Max Recording Quality setting, HD 720- 3 Mbps.

I would still like to watch in higher 1080 quality on the channels that I receive that are 1080, but even at MRQ of HD 720- 5 Mbps (recommended) the LPW frequency is much higher…

1. What is the make and model of your router?
  2. Are you running the Tablo and Roku on the 2.4 GHz band or 5 GHz band?
  3. This is likely due to poor WiFi signal resulting in slow WiFi speeds. I suggest you hard wire at least the Tablo to the router. Engaging in “Double WiFi” creates a lot of latency problems - that is Tablo to router via WiFi and then router to Roku via WiFi.
  4. Do you have another WiFi playback device you can test on? iPad? Fire TV? Nexus Player? Laptop?

2.4 GHz or 5 Ghz wireless? If 2.4 are you using the microwave? What router / wireless access port do you have? My Tablo, and all my devices are on 5 GHz wireless and using the 720 prefered. No issues. The higher the resolution you record at, the larger the files will be. Most of the stations are 720 and for the few that are 1080 I watch live with antenna on tv. Would be nice if quality could be set per channel, then would record the way the station is.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies.

1. Medialink - Wireless N Router - 802.11n - 150 Mbps - 2.4 Ghz

2. I think 2.4 GHz

3. Would a powerline ethernet adapter help? I cannot hardwire the Tablo to my router.

4. The Roku plays Sling TV fine with existing set up

I would say the likely culprit is your wireless router. Either upgrade the router or go with powerline Ethernet adapters.

Powerline advice:

1 Like

Router advice:

TP-Link TL-WDR3600:
www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDR3600-Wireless-Gigabit-300Mbps/dp/B008RV51EE1

Or if you have a few more dollars to spend:

1 Like

Great thank you.

I have a powerline adapter on the way- I’ll start there and see what happens…

Make sure you get the newer AV2 standard for the powerline adapters, not the old AV standard.

Which set did you buy?

TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps

Hopefully this is ok?

That is the AV standard - It may be enough but the newer ones with HomePlug AV2 standard will likely give you higher speeds.

@cmb9er Coming from someone who spent close to $200 buying Powerline adapters for the whole house, then ended up selling all of them and upgrading my router to the Archer C7 linked above by @theuser86, I would personally recommend upgrading your router instead, considering you will get massive increases in speeds for all devices, and it is proven to decrease LPW for all devices using Tablo. When I had Powerline (AV2) adapters, it would work very well sometimes, but it would need to be unplugged or reset relatively too often. Right now, the Roku is having issues with handling Ethernet speeds, which is how Powerline works.

It’s up to you, but I sure wish I would have upgraded my router before experimenting with Powerline first.

Thanks for the help/suggestions.

Which Powerline is the proven, go-to AV2?

I think I will end up getting the Archer C7 and the Powerline and compare performance.

Or better yet, get the C7 for improved WiFi to your Roku and then hard wire the Tablo with the powerline adapters.

2 Likes

Yes that’s what I will try then- any suggestion for the particular Powerline make/model?

I see these two options are pretty affordable on amazon…

1. D-Link PowerLine AV2 1000 Gigabit Network Extender Kit (DHP-601AV)

2. ZyXEL 600 Mbps Mini Powerline AV2 Gigabit Adapter, Starter Kit - 2 Units (PLA5205KIT)

I have used ZyXEL powerline adapters for many years without any issues. I upgraded to the AV1200 about six months ago and use it to stream HD media everyday. No problem at all so far. Highly recommend it.

Go with the ZyXEL, evidence based decisions lol

Thanks everyone for the help.

I ordered the D-Link PowerLine AV2 1000 Gigabit Network Extender Kit (DHP-601AV) before I saw these responses…I will test them out along with the new router first.

If no luck then I will try the suggested ZyXEL units.

I think they will solve your problems, you should definitely have no issues with 720p 5 Mbps quality.

The Roku has a bug for some individuals with the 1080p setting, but that is being fixed now. So if it’s just a networking issue for you, the 1080p setting will work for you too.