Live Pause Ultimately Fails and Brings to Live

Every time I’ve used pause on live TV, at some point, it craps out and re-buffers and goes to live or goes back to the live tv channel guide.  Speaking of ROKU.

We’ve just accepted the fact that LIVE pausing doesn’t work.  

Why is that?

I have noticed the same thing on my iPad lately. Example you are watching a show that is on from 6:00 till 6:30. You pause the show at 6:15 when the guide refreshes at 7:00 for the next program. The pause fails. If remember correctly on the iPad you have to leave, go back to the guide and then you’re on live tv.

@django363 @mb190e Can you both reproduce this consistently? We haven’t seen this here. We’ll need to create a test case around this.

I will do some testing to see if I can reproduce it.

Let me put together the steps to reproduce, happened 2X I paused today already.  Shouldn’t be hard.

@django363 @tablotv

I notice something similar when I try to FF ahead to less than 1 minute from “live” tv.

As an example, I pause a show for 5 minutes, click play, watch the show until commercials come on, then FF ahead to the live TV time, it will fail within about 30 seconds. It will say “loading” or just go back to the channel guide.

If I only FF back to 1 minute before live TV begins, usually it is fine and does not error out.

I can reliably reproduce the issue as mentioned by @snzkickin.

While watching live TV via Roku 3 (Ethernet), if I either pause Live TV or rewind back in time, then when I FF to the end of the buffer (which in my mind is returning to real-time TV) the stream pauses.  I then hit Play, I get a few seconds of live TV and then I get a permanent “Loading…” message.  I have to exit the stream back to the Live TV guide and then go back in to resume watching.

After RR or FF  several times live TV ALWAYS freezes (or stars a loop, or picture gets pixelated), then the Roku box (roku 2) reboots itself.  This also happens with recorded TV but not nearly as often.  this is happening when roku is connected via a 5ghz channel.  it will also happen occasionally with the other 2 roko boxes connected via 2.4ghz channels. 

After RR or FF  several times live TV ALWAYS freezes (or stars a loop, or picture gets pixelated), then the Roku box (roku 2) reboots itself.  This also happens with recorded TV but not nearly as often.  this is happening when roku is connected via a 5ghz channel.  it will also happen occasionally with the other 2 roko boxes connected via 2.4ghz channels. 

Yep, I’ve seen the Tablo app crash the Roku when using FF/RW. Also again, more with Live than recordings, but it happens from both. For me it was using the “jump back 7 seconds” button on the Roku remote.

Pausing Live TV still doesn’t work.  This is totally unacceptable.  Pausing it works, then in a few minutes it buffers and never returns, requiring me to go back to LIVE.  So if I pause, walk away or whatever, eventually I am going to miss something.

This has to be a known issue people get this fixed.  It’s bad enough I had to go buy 4 damn Roku boxes because Chromecast works for crap.  That’s an investment of $300 + 400 = $700.  That’s a lot of cash for something that’s this buggy.

Roku3

@django363

I tested this yesterday afternoon on a few different Roku’s, including a Roku 2XS, 2, and 3. I left them all buffer for ~15 minutes and returned to them.

I could FF/RW through all the buffered content without any issues. I also tried Ethernet vs Wi-Fi, and I still had issues reproducing this. 

Please feel free to send me a note directly - and with a little more detail on how this happens. If I can recreate this in the office, we’ll track it down and get it fixed ASAP.

I misstated the problem.  The problem is that REWINDING Live TV 100% ultimately fails.

I can reproduce it every single time.  In other words, REWIND live TV does NOT work.

Just went through specific steps:

1. Start watching live TV @ 12:10:45 AM
2. 12:20:50 AM re-wound approximately 1 minute
3. Played from rewound spot
4. 12:22:03 "Loading please wait"
5. Never recovers.  Only way to get program back is by going back to LIVE lineup and starting it, which makes me miss everything I was trying to re-watch plus that which I didn’t.

Never has worked.  Roku3, latest update, Tablo is latest update.

I’ve just come to accept that Tablo is very buggy and this is one of the bugs people have to live with.

@django363 Can I assume that the RW feature works fine on the other devices that you’re using? I’m not dismissing this or anything; I just want to understand the whole problem. I just tried this in the office, too, and didn’t have any issues…

That said, we did just push firmware update 2.1.20, and we’ll be pushing out a small update for the existing Roku channel soon. Let me know about the rest of your devices, and if the firmware update changes anything.

I can confirm also that rewinding from live TV does not work on my roku3. It will ultimately bug out and go back live. Sometimes leaving me in a loop for a bit. Because of this I am only recording shows and never watching live since its currently worthless to me like this. Also if I’m watching a recorded event and it makes it live this will happen so I never let it go past 1m.

My three week old TCL ROKU TV Live pause has failed me at least 10 times. No rhyme or reason to it. I can add that sometimes you can see the back pages but you cannot go to them.