Lip Sync / Audio Delay Issue

I’m noticing this issue again now that I’m watching more TV with the fall shows upon us, and while I haven’t done significant troubleshooting it is happening on the Roku app. It’s is definitely noticeable on show recorded on my local CBS affiliate which I believe broadcasts in 1080i. I’ve selected 720p as the recording format, and wonder if perhaps the format shift is part of the problem.

Anyone else still noticing this? It’s quite distracting.

My audio delay never got fixed. What I found was that it varied by TV station. The problem was worse on my Fire TV but better on a Roku 3. I still had one station that was bad on the Roku 3 (luckily not one I watch very often). So I’m living with the problem. Unfortunately the Roku 3 Tablo app seems to lock up intermittently during fast-forwarding of recorded shows. Can’t get a break. Tablo support couldn’t ever confirm my audio delay problem, so I gave up. I heard they have confirmed the Roku lock up issue and are at least working on that problem.

Same thing here. This issue happen mostly on one station and is seen using tablo under Android TV. Tablo support told me that the delay was coming from the broadcaster :wink: Funny thing, I have a hdhomerun connected to the same antenna and no issue there !

Hey folks -

Can you try again using beta.tablotv.com vs. my.tablotv.com. We think we have this issue addressed on beta.

Just noticed this for the first time today watching live tv on Chrome on PC. Still on 2.2.2 firmware. Was about a quarter second off by my estimation. I saw it on two different stations and flushing my 2-tuners seemed to help temporarily but it came back within a couple of minutes. Just connected my PC to ethernet from a wireless setup and was checking for a weird live tv pausing problem I have and found this instead. Wireless speeds were around 50 Mpbs and with the wired I’m in the 125 range. Tablo is on wireless. Will try the beta site now.

I noticed it yesterday on my roku 4 I think when I had max recording quality set. I think it went away when I used the 720 5 mbps setting. It might have been on my roku 3. Not sure. I switched a bunch of things around yesterday while trying out the roku 4 off and on. I’ll try to test more. My TV is old and 1080i, so at some point I was switching the output on my roku 4 from 1080P to 720P.

So far, so good on beta.tablotv.com. Not seeing the audio sync issue. Have checked a couple of channels. I’ll update after switching around a bit.

My wife: “Honey, stop watching TV in the middle of the day!”
Me: “I’m just doing research, dear…”

1 Like

Still working good this morning - on both the main and beta sites. I can’t reproduce the problem on either. I’ll let you guys know if I see it again. Thanks.

1 Like

The web browser rarely ever showed a lip sync issue for me and even then it may have been when the PC was bogged down. Problem is I watch 90% of the time on a Roku or Fire TV, so I need a solution for one of those to work. Thanks.

Same here, Roku is my primary and still showing the lip sync issue.

It’s back on Chrome. I tried both the normal and beta tablotv sites and it was the same on both. After I had the issue originally, I switched the Tablo and PC to a wired connection (125 Mbps) and have been running on that for a few days now. I was also seeing lots of audio dropouts and pixelating on Chrome as well - AND only while watching football on FOX. My reception has been very good for several weeks so that was a surprise.

@pnear - Can you give us all of the specs of your setup? What Tablo firmware, what Roku hardware & firmware?

@Jim_Swisher - Ditto for you on FireTV.

@IllBeDarned - Are you still on the same setup for Chrome or have you changed firmware?

I’m am still on Tablo 2.2.2 (just waiting for the problems introduced with 2.2.6 to get cleared up) if that’s what you were referring to. I’ve been testing with the Chrome version since that was updated a couple of weeks ago and for the most part, have not seen any problems since I first reported the issue then. Today, it seems fine again. I’m starting to wonder if my PC might have been doing something in the background during these audio sync issues that could cause a slower response in Chrome.

@IllBeDarned - So you’ve been using beta.tablotv.com or my.tablotv.com this whole time?

I’ve been testing both since you introduced the beta site a week or so ago and have seen pretty much the same on both sites. The beta site seemed to clear up the problem the day I originally posted and both had been good until yesterday. Today, both are working fine. As a side note, I just brought up a couple of web cam streaming sites (sorta high bandwidth) and then started both the beta and regular tablotv sites and saw no audio sync issues on either.

@IllBeDarned - Good to know. Keep us posted if you see anything else.

I’m sorry to keep coming back to this - it just took more time to get the audio (un)sync to materialize. After watching on Chrome (HTML version 1.0.24-601, UA: 46.0.2490.80, PC-Win 7 Pro 64), for about 45 minutes, I noticed it first on the normal site and then after switching to the beta site as well. Backing out of it to the Live TV guide and then back to the same channel fixes it until it eventually works it’s way back to un-synced. During this time, I had Task Manager open and on my performance tab, was showing only about 15 to 45% CPU and 65 to 75% memory usage so I assume it’s not a PC background process slowing everything down. I’ll keep looking for something that might be causing this on my end and report anything I find.

@IllBeDarned - Tx for the update. I’ll let our web team know to let things play for a bit… It seems to get worse the longer it plays, yes?

That’s correct.

Just a note, I came across this posting and I had originally reported the sound sync problem after the 2.2.6 upgrade, however I have been using the beta site and there has not been any sync issue on the beta site. I use Chrome web for viewing, and watched 6 different recordings with no issue. On the “non” beta (normal site) there is still the issue. It seems to get off track as soon as there is a minor pixelation issue, or a skip on the non-beta site.
Hope this helps.

1 Like