Linksys WRT54G router port forward?

I have numerous devices on my home LAN which can be seen and accessed remotely via iPhone apps and remote PCs. These include NEST thermostat, Simple.TV, iPeng (Logitech) music server, 3GStore remote switches, etc. each and every device installed easilly with no issues.

Tablo is unfortunately a different story. No ability to connect outside of my local LAN, and “manual configuration” is required.

I do not understand the Tablo listing of private ports versus pulic ports and see no way to configure my Linksys WRT54G router to do port forwarding which Tablo expects.

Can someone please clarify what Tablo needs to manually configure?

Thanks very much,
Larry

Do you have the stock firmware on your WRT54G? What is the hardware version of the WRT54G? If not, you can upgrade to DD-WRT and you can definitely do proper port forwarding.

I have the latest rev stock firmware. I am not especially inclined to install 3rd party firmware on the router since my 47 LAN devices all are working fine and the Linksys WRT54G is the most popular and widely deployed router on the Internet. Since it nicely handles all my current devices and port forwarding for half a dozen mixed LAN/WAN devices already, I think Tablo has some issue rather than flashing my router to 3rd party code to support their odd requirement.

What does Tablo public to private port mapping mean? Does Tablo demand a static IP? Does this IP-specific device need NAT?

Thanks for any info.
Larry

Well the DD-WRT firmware is great and runs rock solid on the dependable WRT54G.

The port forwarding on the stock firmware won’t let you forward a public port number to a different private port number. You can accomplish what you need with port triggering though, check the router configuration.

You can always set a static IP to fhe Tablo and then DMZ the Tablo’s IP and that will allow you to use Tablo Connect (aka connect away from home).

Thank you VERY MUCH! Are the triggering and forwarded ranges (values) set to public and private ranges (values) respectively under the Gaming and Applications Tab?

Yes that is where the port triggering tab is - I’ve never used the triggering, I have a WRT54G running DD-WRT.

Maybe someone else can chime in about the triggering as the forwarding won’t work for you.

You SOLVED my problem !!

By first forwarding the 3 required public ports to the proper IP address by setting their range on the Port Forwarding tab and then triggering the 3 private ports by declaring and enabling them for the 3 public (forwarded) ports, all working correctly now !!

Many thanks for your insightful help !!

Larry

Glad to hear it worked for you. Random question though, how did you set a static IP for the Tablo with your router? If I remember correctly, the stock firmware doesn’t allow you to reserve a IP in the DHCP range for a device.

I only ask because if you didn’t get a static IP, a reboot of the router will assign a different IP to the Tablo and that will break your port forwarding.

My technique for assigning a static IP address is to limit the range of the automatic DHCP assignment, in my case to a maximum of 100 devices. I then manually configure the devices I wish to statically assign to addresses outside that 100range, and subsequent rebooting of the router does not touch these addresses above 100. I have been using this for quite some time with my Linksys, and have media servers, my thermostat, and several other devices fixed to static addresses with no router contention.

Hello, is it possible to post screenshots of the tabs you configured?

I have a Cisco/Linksys E3000 and tried to set up the Single Port forwarding, but it’s not working.
I tried different settings on the port range tab, etc, but 2 of the ports are constantly with the red exclamation.

@dp81732

Does your router have UPnP? Turn it on, the Tablo will automatically configure the router.

I’ll look up the manual of your router tmrw and see what options are available.

Yes, it seems to.  Under the “management” tab, there is a section for UPnP.  I have “enabled” selected for “UPnP” and for “Allow Users to Configure.”  But the Tablo setup says I need to configure manually.

@dp81732 - Try turning the Tablo Connect switch off, then on again once or twice. Sometimes ‘fussy’ routers that do have UPnP enabled will ‘wake’ up the second or third time they’re asked to connect. 

I’ve tried several different times of enabling/disabling the Remote Access checkbox in the Tablo setup, resetting the modem, power cycling the Tablo, etc.  It’s always the same.  Ports 21132/8887 and 21130/80 show red exclamations.  Only port 21131/443 has a green checkbox.  This status is the same as before I tried anything with port forwarding.

If UPnP does not work then manually configure the port forwarding.

I've tried several different times of enabling/disabling the Remote Access checkbox in the Tablo setup, resetting the modem, power cycling the Tablo, etc.  It's always the same.  Ports 21132/8887 and 21130/80 show red exclamations.  Only port 21131/443 has a green checkbox.  This status is the same as before I tried anything with port forwarding.

I have this same exact problem.

In that case, it’s best to place a ticket with Tablo Support so we can investigate further. http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new