Latest Roku update not worth it. Here's my list of problems so far

Thank you, the new guide was indeed a long-needed improvement. Unfortunately, what has become of the rest of the app wasn’t worth it.

For one thing, on the Roku2, the app has become agonizingly slow. Obviously your developers are only using the Roku3 for testing, because performance on the 3 is relatively crisp. Unfortunately, most of my units are the Roku2 and I really don’t feel like upgrading for no other good reason. (This has always been one of my biggest gripes with software developers; they use the latest-greatest hardware for development and testing while most of their ultimate users do not) Please force them to use a Roku2 so that they have to suffer like I do, and motivate them to clean up the code a bit.

The new app frequently locks up, requiring getting up to pull the power and waiting for a reboot.

Sometimes, a paused recording will just restart on its own.

The previous recordings page allowed you to sort your recordings by date recorded, title, or genre, defaulting to the date recorded with the most recent at the top. Now we only get to see everything dumped alphabetized, and for those of us with more than a dozen recordings, it takes an agonizingly long time to scroll down to find the most recent show (like the evening news) that we wish to watch. (especially on the Roku2!)

Sometimes I have to totally back out of recordings page or the app altogether to see or run newer recordings that have happened since first entering the page. (Again, on the Roku2, this takes an agonizingly long amount of time every time you are forced to do so) Sometimes recordings show as being there (by the number on the icon) but when you click to run, you just get a “ding” and nothing happens. Have to exit out of the menu, or app altogether to reload and then it runs.

I think I’ll be manually installing the previous app until things improve.

The paused recording restarting on it own is a pure Roku issue with live streams. It has been discussed elsewhere in this Community. It occurs with other non-Tablo live streams such as Bloomberg TV. I think the problem is that Roku buffer gets filled and pause then unpauses. The problem is worse with higher recording speeds (e.g. 1080 720@60 fps).

I don’t know about your issues but you’re making a few unfair assumptions

they use the latest-greatest hardware for development and testing while most of their ultimate users do not

How do you know they only test on Roku 3? How do you know most “ultimate users” (what is an ultimate user?) do not use a roku 3?

motivate them to clean up the code a bit.

How do you know this is a code issue? Perhaps there are hardware limitations in the roku 2.

All of my recordings are 720p. Even with a Roku 2(4210) which is as powerful as a 4200 Roku 3 you can see many of these problems with the roku app. And that is when both the Roku 2 and tablo are hardwired to an intelligent giga switch. And the tablo server is idle with the exception on one instance of playing a recording.

Sometimes seeming out of the blue you can press the pause or fast forward and it fails to display the pause or fast forward icon. It goes about whatever it’s doing with no control. Even the back or home button doesn’t respond. You just have to wait until the roku app decides it’s going to process whatever button it thinks were pressed.

The paused recording restarting on it own is a pure Roku issue with live streams. It has been discussed elsewhere in this Community. It occurs with other non-Tablo live streams such as Bloomberg TV. I think the problem is that Roku buffer gets filled and pause then unpauses. The problem is worse with higher recording speeds (e.g. 1080 720@60 fps).

I believe you, although we’ve never experienced this before the current release, nor have we experienced it with other Roku apps such as Netflix or Sling. I’m currently recording at 720p-3 Mpbs. Since a couple of my Roku units are currently WiFi, I hesitate to set any higher.

How do you know they only test on Roku 3? How do you know most “ultimate users” (what is an ultimate user?) do not use a roku 3?

I think it’s a safe assumption because if they had been testing this on the 2, I can’t imagine that they would have released it as-is. It’s that bad.

How do you know this is a code issue? Perhaps there are hardware limitations in the roku 2.

Because the previous version was not this slow. Yes, there’s no doubt that the Roku2 hardware is more limited than the 3. But I really don’t like being made to upgrade my hardware every time someone releases a new app that basically does the same thing as the previous.

1 Like

I have a similar set up with Roku 3s, and since the last Tablo update, I’ve also been having the issue with the Roku going out of control when pausing or fast forwarding. Loading Please Wait errors are more frequent than ever. Also, the Roku typically crashes and reboots at the beginning of our nightly TV sessions.

1 Like