I've lost ability to pick up nearby NBC

I live in 38305, 8 miles from the NBC tower. A few weeks ago, I lost the ability to get the NBC affiliate MOST of the time. I abandoned my Mohu Leaf & got a longer range Winegard Flatwave, mounted to the side of my house. Now I consistently & clearly get local as well as Memphis channels 60 miles away. Still - no NBC locally or from Memphis. I’ve tweaked & tweaked my antenna direction. I tried also using my Mohu Leaf pointed differently, with a splitter. That killed reception for most channels, still leaving me without NBC. I turned off the Mohu amp. That killed even more channels. With the Mohu hanging in the window where it’s been for 2 years, I direct connected it to my tv. I get all local channels I’ve always had, but the same ultra-weak pixelated NBC reception that began a few weeks ago. Suggestions??

according to rabbitears.info, your nearest nbc affiliate is WNBJ-LD, a low power station, broadcasting on UHF channel 16, and showing itself as “NBC39” at about 175 degrees from you… all the other jackson stations are almost opposite the NBC station. it should be within your pickup area, but it IS a low power station. if the NBC station is having trouble, and broadcasting at reduced power, you’re likely right in the range to lose them…

the memphis NBC station is 71 miles away from 38305, at 239 degrees, and it’s on low VHF channel 5. Most “modern” antennas can’t pick up low VHF unless it’s very close and very powerful. 70 miles away you could get it, but you’d need a BIG outdoor VHF antenna to pick it up.

1 Like

Thanks! My house faces almost exactly north. My antenna is pointed south & slightly east. I’m very clearly getting all Memphis channels (except NBC) to the southwest, local ABC/CBS mostly south, and local PBS which is 20 miles almost due east. I’ve also picked up Tupelo, Jonesboro & something in Missouri, but those are freaks of OTA reception, and not in my lineup. What I can’t figure out is how I successfully got local NBC for 2 years, but now nothing, under any configuration. When that affiliate went live is when I became a cord cutter. Is there anything I can try to correct this?

Reach out to the station and see if they are doing maintenance or o see if there is a problem.its odd it would work then stop suddenly…

1 Like

@LilOleLady Have you done a new channel scan? It could be that they’ve made a tweak in their broadcasting parameters.

1 Like

I scan just about daily. Tweak the antenna position & scan again. All other 28 or so channels are coming in great. Just not this ONE. Fortunately, it pinged a weak signal in one of my scans with the new antenna, so I still have it in my guide. But, I’m going to have to kill all recordings on that station with the fall season, because the attempts to reconnect & record crash anything else I’m trying to record or watch at the time. I’m going to call the station…again. And I really don’t even know what this means…but could I be overamping that station?? Is there any (relatively low tech) way to test that theory?

@LilOleLady - If you touch base with @TabloSupport we can take a closer look at the signal strength for that channel: www.tablotv.com/ask-tablo

1 Like

Good news, maybe. I called the station again, and this time got someone who said a few others who live in my area also had called, so he’s going to try to get an answer.

1 Like

Yesterday I tried to open a ticket via the link provided, but the app wouldn’t post the request. I sent an email instead, but the address captured from my contacts was very likely tied to an ancient request, and is lost in someone’s inbox. 30+ hours without a response. I know y’all can’t fix a local problem, but any info I can leverage locally would be helpful.