Issues After Updating to 2.2.6

I have found a workaround to this known problem. Since I know a 3 hour sporting event will likely encounter this problem, I create a manual recording of the last half hour of the sporting event. Of course you have to have enough tuners available to do this but I have 4 so it usually isn’t a problem. When the game starts to loop in the last half hour I simply watch the manual recording.

Because sporting events often run long, I usually record a show or two that is scheduled after the game on the same channel. So if the sporting event is 3 hours long and I program the Tablo to record say a 30 minute show after the game and a 1 hour show after that I find that when watching the 3 hour game it says that the total recording time is 4 hours and 35 minutes. In other words, it has included the subsequent shows in the original game. So if it starts looping around 3 hours and 20 minutes, I simply switch to the half hour show after the game and that plays fine. I mention this not as a solution but just to let you know that the part that is looping might be available for watching elsewhere if you programmed recordings of shows after the game.

Now if I could just find a solution for 30 and 60 minute shows that are looping after 15 minutes. I haven’t seen anyone posting about that but it is beginning to happen to me. I’m now recording at the lowest quality level (480) and wonder if that is the problem. I never had this issue with the 2.2.2 firmware. Anyone else having this problem?

I finally had a reason to watch my NFL recording of the Titans :grinning: , and I encountered the looping issue near the 3 hour mark.

Looking at the network utilization info in perfmon on Win10, the network is completely saturated when the looping happens. Normally I see it spike to 32 Mbps, drop to 0, spike up, drop to 0, etc when watching live tv or a recording. I assume it is buffering during the spikes. When the looping issue happens, the network is stuck around 80 Mbps (I am using a wired PC connection) the whole time.

I see that the Tablo folks are working on a fix, so I can definitely test it when complete (unless the fix works only on new recordings).

Hey folks - we do have a fix in QA right now for this issue. It’s a player issue and not a recording issue so you’ll be able to watch previous recordings that encountered this issue.

Thank you AronH1 for taking the time to let everyone know the problem was resolved. I’m new to Tablo and I just picked up a Roku 2 for our main TV. I was very disappointed in the recorded program fast forward buffering times. Which didn’t make sense since my Kindle Firestick did not exhibit that problem. I was about to send the Roku 2 back to Amazon when I read your post. Well, it worked for me, too! I power cycled the switch and the Tablo and the Roku 2. No more long FF buffering times!

1 Like