Issues After Updating to 2.2.6

Does that mean your Tablo is now running 2.2.2?

No, it’s running 2.2.6. The factory reset did not restore the earlier firmware version. I forgot to mention that I still can’t access my recordings, it still says “No Recordings” in both Roku apps (the recordings are viewable on my Windows laptop). But Live TV seems to be working OK after the reset.

xxxx cccc xx cc

I know, it’s weird. I followed the factory reset procedure, saw the fast blinking light, etc. I had to go through the whole setup process again, do the channel scan, etc. But the recordings are still there, and viewable, when I access the Tablo from my laptop.

I didn’t do any reset at all, but I did have to unplug the power and plug it back in a couple days ago. Don’t believe this would have caused it, but sometime after this I opened my browser to tablo and it said I needed to update to 2.2.6. Having already done this shortly after this release came out, it was a little perplexing that it wanted to do it again. Tried a few things first, but ROKU would not work, told me to update in fact. Could not read my recordings, just keep trying to. So I went back to the browser to tablo and let it do the update. After that, everything was working really good. Really strange.

Here’s my post on this for anyone interested.

-Rodger

xxxx cccc xx cc

I CAN play them. On the laptop, they work completely normally. But the Roku apps say No Recordings. I’m not inclined to format the HDD for fear of screwing something else up. My main priority was to get live TV up and running in order to watch sports, and now that that’s working, I’m not changing anything else. I’m also not making any sudden movements, am being careful about my tone of voice, and am doing an ancient aboriginal Tablo Blessing Dance from time to time. :wink:

I do need the recordings to work properly as well, but I have a support ticket open and I guess I’ll wait on guidance from support for what to do next.

2 Likes

I have dissimilar and disagreeing lists of recordings between my Rokus and my iOS devices, with many playable recordings on iOS totally missing from Rokus. In addition, selecting different views on Roku shows fewer or more recordings, with sorting by Most Recent view truncating the lis to the fewestt, thereby missing the most. None of the Roku views show all of the sctual recirdings which iOS shows and plays.

This has been a problem since I git the Tablo a year ago, and I posted about it once or twice a while back.

So much of what people are saying here sounds like CPU/GPU overload and perhaps memory leaks. It is so easy to build in memory leaks because of faulted logic in design and CPU/GPU cycles can go crazy over endless looping through bad code. Tablo needs to find someone that is an expert in software analysis. Until they do, it will be hit and miss I’m afraid.

-Rodger

I know that I have seen this reported elsewhere, but I wanted to add my experience. I have a dual tuner Tablo, hardwired to network, and two Fire TV boxes one of which is hardwired and the other on WiFi.

1. I get the occasional playback error on both of my AFTV systems; I can’t exclusively blame Tablo for this as I am way out in the boonies and subject to reception issues. I don’t think it is reception though, since I have an amplified DB-8 that picks up a station 120 miles away.

2. After watching or deleting a recording, I revert to a blank screen. There are no recordings listed, only a small triangle with the number of unwatched shows remaining for the show I just watched or deleted. Navigating back to the menu (where you can select live TV or recordings) and then back to recordings will repopulate the display.

Hey everyone…

I can appreciate the frustration but name calling and ranting won’t get anyone any closer to a solution on any issue.

Let’s keep the tone civil and helpful.

I’m not anyone’s mother so I have no interest or desire to put anyone in time out. I also have no interest or desire to act as a referee between grown people slinging insults.

Please review the rules here: Welcome Everyone!

Please follow them.

3 Likes

I cracked up reading “not making any sudden movements.”
Brings me back to when I was a UNIX admin, and was careful not to give the system console a stern look for fear it would trigger a kernel panic. LOL
Thanks for that.

2 Likes

I also was having strange issues after the firmware update.
There were duplicate programs and recordings even when “Do Not Record Duplicates” was selected.
Trying to find a solution I inadvertantly did a FACTORY RESET!!! OUCH! However this might have been a blessing in disguise as it now seems that things are working as expected.

This points to something that has been mentioned regarding a corruption in the database after the firmware upgrade. It looks like I am still on the 2.2.6 version and things are looking alright up to this point.

Best,
Simeon

1 Like

Using Chrome Browser.
Since firmware update recordings longer that 2 and 1/2 hours get stuck in loop and never finish.
I do not use Roku. For me the only solution is using the browser. Now that is broken.
Also had to reboot device 2 times since update. Drive has plenty of room which was an issue with older versions.

We are aware of this issue and are working on it. Sorry to hear you’re experiencing this :pensive:

I have found a workaround to this known problem. Since I know a 3 hour sporting event will likely encounter this problem, I create a manual recording of the last half hour of the sporting event. Of course you have to have enough tuners available to do this but I have 4 so it usually isn’t a problem. When the game starts to loop in the last half hour I simply watch the manual recording.

Because sporting events often run long, I usually record a show or two that is scheduled after the game on the same channel. So if the sporting event is 3 hours long and I program the Tablo to record say a 30 minute show after the game and a 1 hour show after that I find that when watching the 3 hour game it says that the total recording time is 4 hours and 35 minutes. In other words, it has included the subsequent shows in the original game. So if it starts looping around 3 hours and 20 minutes, I simply switch to the half hour show after the game and that plays fine. I mention this not as a solution but just to let you know that the part that is looping might be available for watching elsewhere if you programmed recordings of shows after the game.

Now if I could just find a solution for 30 and 60 minute shows that are looping after 15 minutes. I haven’t seen anyone posting about that but it is beginning to happen to me. I’m now recording at the lowest quality level (480) and wonder if that is the problem. I never had this issue with the 2.2.2 firmware. Anyone else having this problem?

I finally had a reason to watch my NFL recording of the Titans :grinning: , and I encountered the looping issue near the 3 hour mark.

Looking at the network utilization info in perfmon on Win10, the network is completely saturated when the looping happens. Normally I see it spike to 32 Mbps, drop to 0, spike up, drop to 0, etc when watching live tv or a recording. I assume it is buffering during the spikes. When the looping issue happens, the network is stuck around 80 Mbps (I am using a wired PC connection) the whole time.

I see that the Tablo folks are working on a fix, so I can definitely test it when complete (unless the fix works only on new recordings).

Hey folks - we do have a fix in QA right now for this issue. It’s a player issue and not a recording issue so you’ll be able to watch previous recordings that encountered this issue.

Thank you AronH1 for taking the time to let everyone know the problem was resolved. I’m new to Tablo and I just picked up a Roku 2 for our main TV. I was very disappointed in the recorded program fast forward buffering times. Which didn’t make sense since my Kindle Firestick did not exhibit that problem. I was about to send the Roku 2 back to Amazon when I read your post. Well, it worked for me, too! I power cycled the switch and the Tablo and the Roku 2. No more long FF buffering times!

1 Like