I’ve been a legacy Tablo user for 10 or so years and the legacy app works great.
I downloaded the new app after the end of support notice and I have to say it’s really not good.
The new app is slow and clunky and the UI is not good. Why are the thumbnails so big? 4 shows per phone screen vs 12 on the old one lol.
Remote access doesn’t work on the new app. The Prime time and Premiering tabs are gone. If you ask Tablo how yours supposed to find new premiering shows now they say scroll through the entire guide every week… this app sucks lol.
They have sucked compared t legacy apps since Oct 2023 when I got a gen 4. New users may not know any better. And there are a number of legacy users who are willing to put up with the junk just to save on the subscription fee.
The lifetime subscription was $200 so kind of a no brainer back in the day.
I’m guessing there wasn’t much money to be made with a simple DVR. That’s probably where all the streaming channel bloatware comes in.
It sort of feels like they are pulling a microsoft approach with the new app. The microsoft approach is to make it pretty then make it functional, the difference is microsoft is a huge company with enough people to make this approach work.
Except they have a fully functional “legacy” app. The legacy app is solid, it does everything you need from a DVR and does it flawlessly. In the 10 yr I’ve been using it, the only issues were remote streaming very early on that failed on T-Mobile networks because of how T-Mobile handles videos.
I also have been using Tablo for 10 plus years. The new tv app is horrible, can’t say that enough. Why would you purposely ruin your business in such a malicious way. You’ve ruined a good format that was easy to use, sure it could have used a couple tweaks but this makes no sense, it doesn’t flow. Been trying to use it and move from the legacy but it’s so frustrating. It’s tv, supposed to be enjoyable, entertaining but yikes. This is so disappointing
Believe it or not, it’s better than it was 2 years ago and getting pretty good updates every so often. Yes, it can be frustrating but, all the questions have been asked and points expressed. As @zippy said above, new users may not know any better but those that have the Legacy device can really see the difference.
Are there any specific issues you are running into @gingersmall27 ?
I have to admit as a long time legacy Tablo owner it took a bit for me to transition over to the 4th gen Tablo app but it general I now prefer it over the legacy app for most usage and it’s quite stable at this stage, at least the Android TV app is.
In 2023 who would design a Roku and fire tv stick app where Recording and Scheduled aren’t in separate menus. Who would implement a guide for sports where the all sports menu is a linear list and not aggregated by type of sport. These are design details that existed in DVR software in 2005.
Of course we could talk about an architecture that is always phoning home and so much more.