Introduce Yourself

Thanks for the welcome and for the suggestion. My son in law just hooked up a new Tablo with a cheap $5 antenna and recorded shows yesterday. He has the same service provider as I do and it worked fine. I will probably do the same and run the services together before cutting the cord. Thanks again,
Bill

Just bought a Firestick 4K 1TB on Monday as it went on sale at Amazon.ca for $44.99 a good discount from $69.99. Oh wellā€¦

Bill

Not really where you want to cut costā€¦ even if you seems to work.

The $5 antenna was a test to see if minimal equipment could pickup OTA channels. When he cuts the cord he will go with an antenna on a mast.

Bill

1 Like

Return the 4K Stick if you donā€™t have a 4K TV (it is from 2018). Get the new 2020 Fire TV Stick for $34.99 CAD or the new 2020 Fire TV Stick Lite for $29.99 CAD. They both have the same internal hardware was the Fire TV Stick 4K. See below.

https://www.amazon.ca/Staging-Product-Not-Retail-Sale/dp/B07ZZW1B86/

https://www.amazon.ca/Staging-Product-Not-Retail-Sale/dp/B07ZZW18N6/

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up on the new Firestick. My TV is a Samsung Smart TV Series 6, 4K colour, 4K HDPRO4K. Will the new Firesticks work better with this TV?

Bill

Without actually looking it up, sounds like your TV is 4K so just keep the 4K Fire TV Stick. The new 2020 FTV Sticks do not output 4K video.

Thanks for your help on this as I am here for precisely that type of input.

I also want to know what type of router is best for streaming when I cut the cord.

Bill

Maybe start your own thread on that topic? There are lots of people who will chime in with recommendations and help.

Good idea. Perhaps I will do that.

Bill

Hi, Iā€™m Daveā€“

Iā€™m in Newark, DE, about 35 miles from the Philly antennas. And just to make this more difficult, Iā€™m in a single-story house and trying to get it all working with an attic antenna. That part, actually successful with an Antennas Direct 8-way bowtie and a Wingard LNA. And yeah, no 6ABC with thatā€¦ I may add in a VHF-lo antenna at some point, though it probably wouldnā€™t fit in my attic.

Iā€™m in the process of cord cutting because, over the summer we bought a vacation house near Bethany Beach, DE. We had been tossing around the idea anyway, but now it seems insane to pay twice for cable/FiOS TV service, not to mention the $20-something a month, forever, to rent an $80 cable box. We were already pretty big on streaming since we moved to Delaware and left behind satellite internet in South Jersey for gigabit FiOS in Newark. But my wife likes live TV sometimes, and local news.

I started off with an AirTV box, an older model. It worked pretty wellā€¦ except it crashed all the time. That was first an experiment down at the beach house, and even with a couple of high gain Yagis in the attic there, itā€™s kind of a crap shoot at reception. The real problem is the unreliability. So when I went to set up the Newark house, I figured Iā€™d give Tablo a shot.

At home itā€™s great. Well, I made it great. The WiFi is awfulā€¦ maybe they assumed you would put your box near a TV, rather than say, right near the antenna. So I ran Cat6 to solve that problem. And the tuners ā€“ not so sensitiveā€¦ an LNA shouldnā€™t actually help with a good tuner if youā€™ve got a short run and youā€™re not splitting anything. Noise floor is noise floor. Of course, theyā€™re splitting internally between two tuners, so -3dB right out of the box, so to speak. Anyway, itā€™s all stabilized now.

Then thereā€™s Tablo Connect. I set it up, opened ports, tested on my phoneā€¦ all good. paired four devices (Android, Android TV), went to the beach. Nadaā€¦ nothing worked. Later-rinse-repeat, and today, once again, nothing worked. I did put in a support ticket ā€“ maybe I did something wrong. So not sure Iā€™m sticking with Tablo, but figured Iā€™d jump on and into myself anyway.

Just a thoughtā€¦ If when youā€™re home, you turn off wifi on your phone, you can test the Tablo Connect feature without leaving homeā€¦

Steve

Hi, Iā€™m Muddflapp.
Iā€™m new here as of today and I donā€™t know Jack.
I cut the cord 2 months ago and just got a Quad Tablo HDMI. 2.2.32. Itā€™s not hot at all.
After getting past the ā€œstorage fullā€ message by plugging in a USB Seagate 160GB, I kept on.
I like the quad tuner. First thing I did was record 4 shows at the same time.
My old largest Radio-Shack antennae (12 foot?) is back up 25ā€™ off the ground.
My new Hisense Roku can see all the channels until I put in a splitter for the TV and the Tablo.
Tablo could see 48 channels. Connected the Tablo directly with no splitters and I found 73 channels.
Now it sees 62 5 green dot channels and 11 3 dot orange channels. 9-1080, 13-720
I must have the wrong frequency splitter. Specifically got one for digital signals.
The first thing I noticed was no sound. I set it into passthrough mode and the sound is fine, but the volume buttons on the remote just bring up a frozen volume slide bar. Set it back to non pass through. Realized that the sound was turned all the way down. Power button doesnā€™t operate.
Screen flashes a lot, not just blank screens with HDR in the upper right corner.
I notice that I have to press the back key to jump out of the live tv and then reselect the same channel I was watching and then it gave me the option to Watch or Record. So I hit Record and then Watch.
I tried to scan for more channels and it said I needed a free unused tuner. I was recording 3 at the time. I cancelled one. went back to scan for more channels and it said the tuner could not connect.
Tuner canā€™t see the antennae? I plugged the ethernet back in and it did a scan and downloaded the program guide. I have disabled the 14 day program (beta) and left the channel skip off. I intend to fly with no ethernet other than during overnight free zones. Iā€™ve scheduled my wi-fi to be off except during free zones. If I need ethernet, Iā€™ll plug in the cable for short periods. The TV and the Tablo, now have their own linksys 100Mb ethernet switch and they can borrow my 30ft laptop ethernet cable for short times. This Quad Tablo HDMI is great! Iā€™ll hang on as long as I can until ATSC 3.0 subverts 1.0

Hi Everybody,
Iā€™m a chubby old retired guy from Nebraska and just got my Tablo Quad OTA 1 G. Got it up and running about a week ago. I had a TIVO and got so frustrated with it constantly crashing I decided to try something else.
So far so good with the Tablo. Had some issues getting a good OTA signal with an indoor antenna but got that resolved.
Iā€™m sure I will be posiong some questions here.

2 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m brand new at using a community knowledge blog, or any blog. I tried to set up my Tablo a few days ago and could not get it to work. I tried their customer support number, but they are closed for the weekend. I plan to try again later, and thought I might seek guidance at this site if I have trouble. Right now I am just checking to see how immediate a response I might get. Is anybody out there now?

Yes, there are many of us who regularly check the forum. If you have a problem that hasnā€™t been discussed recently, in other words, search the forum for your problem first, then create a new topic giving as much detail as possible. State which Tablo you have, what device you are using to stream or if HDMI directly connected and details of your problem.

Hello Tablo Community, I am an unix network & systems admin by trade and a mythtv refugee. We really like our tablo and appreciate the appliance a bunch. I would recommend it to any cord cutter.

3 Likes

Just got a refurbished Dual lite, having some buffering issues, but working though them. Is there a " product improvement suggestions" thread that we can put ideas on. (donā€™t know if there are real developers who would look at it, the box said made in China :thinking: but it would be nice to hear other peoples ideas.
Oh, and I got this unit as we just watch local news, and we wanted the ability to pause live TV. Which this did the trick.

You might want to check out the ā€œFeature Requestsā€ category. Many things have been requested over the years and some of the most popular requests have been added through firmware updates.

Guess I should have gone though the entire site before opening my mouth :grin: