After switching from TiVo to Tablo I thought that TiVo misses the conflict manager: it doesn’t tell you when a show is not recorded and that could be a problem.
After a few weeks I came to the conclusion that TiVo doesn’t really miss it, and the conflict manager is the poor man priority manager. I thought about it and I realized that in 13 years with TiVo I had zero problems with decisions made by the priority manager, whereas with Tablo I’ve been bitten by the conflict manager a few times already.
I think it could be improved by:
- adding it to all the apps (my lg tv doesn’t have it)
- showing conflicts as soon as they appear after scheduling a new show
- showing conflicts every time the app is started
- adding the name of the series (more important than the title of the episode)
- when a conflict is found rescheduling should be attempted with all the shows (I noticed that changing the order the scheduling are added affects the conflict presence, see here)
The best improvement for the conflict manager obviously would be creating a priority manager.