I'm ready to buy the 6 tuner Tablo XL! šŸ˜

There isnā€™t a unified UI for 2 Tablos. Youā€™d have to exit out of one and go into the other.

Not that painful, I only have a dual tuner so Iā€™m thinking of getting another Tablo. But guess itā€™s not for everyone.

1 Like

Plex DVR doesnā€™t support Live Viewing, at least not yet, which is what drove me to Tabloā€¦ Canā€™t stand waiting for a recording to finish to watch it, especially if itā€™s a live sporting eventā€¦

It would be pretty cool to have Tablo be expandable. I believe the tuners in the Tablo use hardware compression, so itā€™s a compressed (if not the final) data stream coming out of the tuner. Considering the fastest streams are on the order of tens of Mbit/sec, thatā€™s easily handled by a USB interface. If Tablo standardized on a 0-tuner base unit that has a bunch of USB ports on the back, then sold tuner expanders that simply attached via USB, that would be a pretty great setup. The ā€œbasicā€ pack would include a base unit with a 2-tuner expander. But then you could buy additional tuners over time if you needed them. Also, if a tuner failed, just replace the tuner box, not the entire Tablo. Oh, and you want the newest, fastest Tablo? Donā€™t ditch your existing tuners, just buy a new base unit.

2 Likes

This platform already exists with the HDHomeRun DVR software engine. The engine is run by your computer or NAS, and the tuners are standalone devices connected to your network.

You can use the Plex DVR software with the HDHomeRun tuner units too.

I found a prototype of the Tablo 6:

Seriously, though, it would be nice if they could allow multiple Tablo devices natively and intelligently network together. That way you could just add another Tablo to increase your capacity. If one locks up, the others could take the load until you got a chance to reboot it. If you have one Tablo with an antenna pointing in one direction and a second Tablo with an antenna pointing in another direction, it could choose the Tablo with the best signal to record a program. This would be very helpful to those who are between two metro areas.

1 Like

Whoaā€¦ what!? You mean the 6 will not require an external HD? Looks like it smells nice too!

Or is that really a Tablo 4 tuner with a sheet pan on top since they get so hotā€¦ :grinning:

What about those of us who want to go the other way? When do I get my Tablo 1-tuner USB powered WiFi-only Tablo that saves to SD cards?

One tuner would very limiting. There are many times when a two tuner behaves like a one tuner. In short, the two tuner device is likely the lowest end device you can really do effectively for a transcoding network streaming device.

You could do a USB only one tuner device, but not with a transcoder (wellā€¦ likely not). See Tablo Live

I should have put a smiley face at the end. It was a joke.

:slight_smile: But you know, Tablo Live is a real deal (coming soon).