I guess I must sadly say farewell to my Tablo [SOLVED]

I thought all those fancy-pants OLED displays had the same or better software than the IPS “super” LCD displays on the cheaper models. On my SJ8500, to access the meter:

(LG webOS version 05.80.15)

All Settings > Channel Tuning > Manual Tuning > Antenna DTV > Channel Number (select the actual channel from a pop up menu or scroll up or down with the channel selector on the remote, not the virtual or sub-channel).

There are two on screen display bars- “Signal Strength” and “Signal Quality” that display as a bar graph with a numeric percentage value (there’s no reference, so it’s unknown if that’s dBm, dB, whatever- so the readout isn’t easily related to that from another device). If you move the antenna, or multi path conditions exist, the Strength Meter will move.

Now you’re going to make me look … (haven’t yet)… but it’s probably there. Not exactly sure what the point is though. You either have a good setup or you don’t.

Hi, Were having a good amount of storm activity, Im getting pixiation and loss of stations, are you having that also?? Im wondering if its normal to loose them in storms. Checked off tablo n regular ota and found heavy pixelation with signal fluctuation.

I haven’t tried other channels, but channel 9.1, WFTV (ABC), hasn’t been a problem so far all morning. Just checked real quick on WESH and METV. also not seeing any immediate problems. Haven’t watched them for a long time, however, so maybe would pop up if I kept watching.

Did you receive your attenuator? I received my 6db and swapped it out with the 3db yesterday, so now have 16db attenuation. Yesterday and today it seems fine, maybe improved but time will tell.

I put a splitter on with a cable going to tablo, then to tv direct. I did that so as to check the signal easier.The split helped because as a previous post has said it lowers the signal, It did a small amount 3db. After that, it did help, then added the 3db and made no difference, so removed it. This morning the storms were here with heavy rain, it made me loose all my channels, saying weak signal. actually w/o tablo it was fluctuating from strong to non signal rapidly, till storms passed. Now all back to normal, full signal.Im not sure that can be fixed, its weather related.But you have no trouble with the weather, go figure.The facrt is I’m further from towers than you, that may be the difference. Off subject, should we be starting a new thread?,seeing its a different subject.

Might not be a bad idea to start a new discussion. Do you want to ope/start one?

The other difference is I have a much stronger pre-amp, but I am also dropping it quite a bit. Not sure if that makes any difference, or not.

1 Like

Just noticed your post on signal meter.Mine is a samsung,to find meter ,see if you have this. Go to menu>support>self diagnoses>signal information.I of course go directly thru tv, not tablo.

Sorry I am so late to this discussion and I know this post was some time ago, but I am an Attorney and have fought this issue with multiple associations (all for myself as the client I must add), so just want to post this as some general information for everyone here.

OTARD rule will override any association rule or regulation against installing an outdoor antenna. Common Elements may still be a concern though and will most often effect townhomes and condominiums.

An association can not stop you from installing any antenna, so long as it is on your property and not common elements. This makes it easy in single family home and even townhomes, but condos can sometimes be more difficult to find a place that is acceptable for antenna installation. With condos you often limited to your balcony, which may not work out so well for reception.

I had one association go as far as bringing in their attorneys to come after me to force me to take down my antenna. I ended up sending them a case where a guy had 12 antennas in his back yard and actually sounded like an eyesore to me. He not only was able to keep his antenna’s but the association had to pay his 6 digit attorney fees.

In my case, I threatened to charge the association my hourly rate and then offered to move the antenna anywhere they were more comfortable with, so long as they paid for all costs. They agreed to pay for relocation, but later just dropped it rather than spend the money.

Once I both went over the statute with the associations attorneys and pointed out how they were not reading little things, like commas and the word "And’ vs “Or” and then sent them that one case, they backed off.

Very hard to find these cases mind you, as they are all inside the FCC’s website and the search engine is abominable. I had to read through thousands of cases until I found the few that deal with OTA antennas. Of course there are thousands on Satellite Dishes as this directly effected the satellite companies revenue streams, so they were willing to take up the battles.

Cite these cases, and we send our love.

Joe, I start a thread on this topic back in May:

HOA, OTARD and Outdoor Antenna Installation Rules

Can you please post any case citations to that thread that would have binding or persuasive authority so folks have access to them in one place?

Thanks.

Tabloscott, I believe that your Sony XBR65X930E has a signal meter. It is hard to find.

1. Hit the Help key on your remote
  2. Scroll down to Trouble shooting and System Information
  3. Scroll over to Signal Diagnostics

It will show the Signal Strength, physical channel, frequency, modulation, status, errors, and SNR in dB for the current channel. Unfortunately you can not change the channel while you are on this screen. So you need to select the channel you want info on before bringing up this screen.

@Dweber I actually have the Sony XBR65X930D, not sure what the difference in the “E” versus “D” is though. From one page I visited it doesn’t appear there is much difference.

Thank you, I will take a look today, but I thought I had already searched all throughout that area.

OK, I did find it. Wow! It was indeed hidden quite well. I first Saw Troubleshooting, but had no clue you could scroll down even further and there was the Troubleshooting and System Information. Why do they need two troubleshooting selections?

Now I have to decide if it is worth going through the hassle. As you probably know, these TVs have those panels on the back which are very difficult to get put back on when you can only do so by leaning from the front, and reaching around. Too bad you weren’t on this thread a month ago. LOL

Thank you again! Now I know where to find it, and like you said, it looks like you can only do one channel at a time and have to exit to check another channel.

Do you know if my LG has a signal strength detector?

Settings > All Settings > Channels > Channel Tuning > Manual Tuning > Antenna DTV

That will superimpose a channel selector screen on the left, and on the right, showing “Signal Strength” and “Signal Quality.” Note that the Channel number is the “real” channel, not the virtual number that is broadcast by the station.

This is for webOS version 3.8.0 running on 5.80.15 firmware, but should be similar on earlier versions.

Thank you for the information!

The signal strength meter is probably the poorest documented feature on a tv. I was surprised how many have this feature when I was researching a new tv but it was hard to isolate features of specific models. Best Buy was no help and wrong over half the time I asked a question. Based on advice from this forum, I picked an LG, then had the LG help desk verify the meter was on the model that I was buying.

My first lesson when I started using a built in meter was that you had to enter the virtual channel and not the TV channel to get a reading. I was surprised when I could not find the current RF channel on TV Fool for some of my stations and then I found the LG lets you page through the RF channels in the meter and gives you the TV channel and call sign for each scanned channel on your TV. My old Sharp would let you tune to a channel and the RF channel for that channel would be displayed when you went to the meter.

I have this same notation in my password log because I forget it before the next time that I need it and LG has one of the simplest menu structure of any TV.

You forgot the end part:
Settings > All Settings > Channels > Channel Tuning > Manual Tuning > Antenna DTV -> Ends of the Earth