How to use Tablo remotely

I’ve set up my Tablo connect, but how to I actually use my Tablo remotely?  Is it possible to use a web-based application to access Tablo from any location? I’d like to be able to program my Tablo from my office computer. 

To use Tablo Connect, you just need to “pair” your remote device.   That involves connecting to your Tablo at least once on your home network.   Once that it is done, you can go to a remote network and connect just like you would at home (using web or tablet app).

Since you have to “pair” your device, you can’t use your office computer unless you bring it home first.   I have paired my office laptop before, though the only I had it connect from work was to use our “guest” network rather than my company network.  

There have been quite a few requests to move away from the pairing requirement and just use some kind of secure login like Slingbox uses.  The Tablo folks have acknowledged it, but still have no idea if it will be in the next roadmap.

I’m curious as to the recommended data speeds for remote viewing.  i just recently took a trip to my bosses lakehouse and was getting 5mb/s with speedtest.  When I tried to cast to his chromecast it worked for about a minute but then would buffer and eventually catch up play for a bit and buffer again.  I tried on 720p as well as standard def.  I didn’t watch strictly on my computer for any length of time as I was there for the lake not TV but I was curious as to why this occurs.  My home network upload is 10mb/s as well.

edit:  Maybe someone knows some useful setting changes I can make to my router to utilize all bandwidth for remote viewing of Tablo content?

10 up should be plenty.  I’m successful with 4 up.  What setting do you have for the Tablo remote viewing?  Also what router do you have?  There may be QOS settings you could tweak…

So just to confirm, if my office computer is a desktop, I’m SOL?

I'm curious as to the recommended data speeds for remote viewing. i just recently took a trip to my bosses lakehouse and was getting 5mb/s with speedtest. When I tried to cast to his chromecast it worked for about a minute but then would buffer and eventually catch up play for a bit and buffer again. I tried on 720p as well as standard def. I didn't watch strictly on my computer for any length of time as I was there for the lake not TV but I was curious as to why this occurs. My home network upload is 10mb/s as ?

Your recording quality in settings is different from streaming speed requirement. Uploading at 10mps and downloading at 5mps limits you to 5mps. You may need to change your remote streaming setting to 1mps in order to account for the processing time.

When I try to use Tablo remotely (whether on my work WiFi or on LTE), I always get stuck at "Connecting… Establishing websocket connection"

Any ideas?  My first guess would be the router’s port forwarding, but that all looks correct and when I go to the Tablo locally, it says Tablo Connect should be good to go.

Thanks!

@mrv777, you aren’t using IE, are you?  IE will do that (which is frustrating since I have a Win8.1 phone I really want to use at some point).

@mrv777 Have you ‘paired’ the device with your Tablo? You need to do this on your local network before you try Tablo Connect (all that’s required is a sync).

@snowcat  I’m sorry for the confusion.  This is with my phone.  So I’m using Chrome on a Nexus 5

@TabloSupport  I thought I did.  I’ll double check though

Is there any way to pair a device outside the local network, and if not, any chance for that in the future?

@allthatssolid Not at the moment. However, a few users have suggested username/password based logins for this functionality. We’re considering this for the future, stay tuned!

1 Like

Is there a stated minimum bandwidth requirement (up and down) for Tablo to function properly?

From what I’ve read, we are fine, but I’m contemplating a unit for my mom and / or dad too.  We are talking like 3 down, 1.5 up type of service…  I’m guessing that won’t be a good experience, but I’m curious though…  Thanks.

I think the primary problem is in the TabloTV’s ability to transcode (if that’s the right word here)… you can set your TabloTV to go down to like 500Mbs or so… and you get typical quality you’d expect at that level.  So I suspect the TabloTV device is compressing the stream somehow.  But I noticed that when other things (recordings) are going on, I get a lot of delays and buffering.  So, not a bandwidth issue, but I think more of a processing power issue (??). 

However, if the device isn’t doing anything else, yes, absolutely, you can get a pretty good remote experience (even Live TV) remotely using the TabloTV.

Oh… and also remember that the remote device currently has to be paired… and that has to be done via the local network first.  So… all devices that need to access the TabloTV need to pair with the device on the local LAN before being remote.  (hope that makes sense)

It does make sense cjcox, thank you.

I was hoping to find some guidelines or recommendations from Tablo, ideally some stated minimum requirements of the local network for desired performance.

Both my mom and dad do not have aerial antennas at the moment, which they would need,“only” in the attic I believe.  I guess I would feel a little better knowing that I can make these purchases, including USB drives, and there won’t be performance issues due to the inadequate bandwidth.

@Cali89 An HD stream from the Tablo needs at last 5Mbps over your network. You can throttle this speed when you’re using Tablo Connect to stream remotely depending on the upload speed of your network. So if you only have ~1Mbps up, you can set this as your remote streaming quality. It’s pretty easily changeable, too - so you can experiment with it if you need to. Hope this helps!

@TabloSupport one question I had was does this pairing ever expire?  Assuming that my device isn’t factory reset and the home network stays the same?

@faganm24

If your WAN IP from your ISP changes, or you reboot your router or Tablo, the pairing expires.

This is generally not a problem for most as you’re only away from home for a day or two. My WAN IP changes maybe once a month. I never reboot my router and Tablo only reboots every 2 months for firmware update. So yes I have remained paired for weeks at a time on my seldom used devices which would not have connected locally.

I have att uverse. Set up port forwarding 21121 to 21121 forward to 8887, no timeout, on Mac for tablo.
Same on 21120-21120 range to 80.

Turned off wifi, using chrome that I was just using to connect to tablo, so paired. Now, it tells me that I can’t find a tablo.

What are the additional trouble shooting steps?

I enabled the remote connection before poking hole in firewall. Could that be it? Or is att blocking ports upstream of my router, despite the fact I don’t have TV. Could another rule conflict?

Hmm. Not in docs. But it’s not enough to add a rule. After adding it, you must add it to the hosted, on att.

Still, I am running a web server, which I failed to setup with the att router. Could these rules be fighting over the same port?