How to migrate to a bigger drive?

I’ve not tried running this procedure since I posted about it. They do mention an issue with Windows 10 along with the workaround. Did you try this?

See: http://www.ext2fsd.com/?p=182

BabbleBits

I haven’t had a chance to try that yet. Would that affect the program even running? I wonder. I’ll let you know how that goes.

@BabbleBits I think that is an issue with the drive no showing up in the software. My software just won’t launch.

Nevermind. I uninstalled, re-downloaded the .exe file and now the program launches. That was weird.

Wow, still problems. Seems the program freezes whenever I plug in my hard drive.

Okay, an update from me. Seems it was an issue with my PC or the fact that I’m running Windows 10 on PC. I got everything transferred (1.48 TB of data) from the old drive to my new 3 TB drive and I spot checked a few recordings. Everything seems to have worked just fine! Thanks for the steps @BabbleBits

Took about 18-20 hours to transfer everything.

3 Likes

So if you plug both drives into a linux box, mount and rsync is should be that easy pretty much ?

Well it is now July of 2016 and this “important feature” seems to have gone by the wayside of the “roadmap”. Or did the roadmap lose its bearing? This is still an important feature to me. How about an update after 18 months. I’m not sure, but I think oldmike bit the dust also. :confounded:

1 Like

Bigger fish to fry…

Yes, that’s about all. Though, you want to plug the new drive into the Tablo first to let it format and put down some files/directories. When I migrated, I wrote down what I did here:;

1 Like

Thanks for the response and great directions - but I know nothing about Linux and only have a mac

:slight_smile: linux and the mac os are both unix variants.
At least, the mac os is a unix os variant in the background.
The pretty user interface is what most people ever see, though.
Open up a terminal window.
You have now entered your unix environment.

Except… OSX doesn’t support ext3 file systems, which the Tablo uses. So if you want to do the file migration on a Mac, you need to either get ext3 drivers (https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-mac/) or you need to boot the Mac into Linux or some other OS that does support ext3.

I only have a mac but I used a virtual machine and booted up GParted … and cloned the hard disk to a new hard drive and set the option in gparted to resize the filesystem on the new drive to match…

VirtualBox is free for the Mac and Gparted is also a free download…

if you plan on doing a whole drive copy/migration i strongly suggest having a machine with usb3 and using usb3 drives (hopefully your current drive is usb3) … the drive copy can take sometime (hence using a virtual machine on the mac frees up the mac for other tasks)

I thought Tablo started using ext4.

Might be. I think I saw ext3 in an old thread. Same issues apply, either way.

The Tablo does use ext4 now - but as @FlyingDiver noted, this doesn’t change much for external solutions.

As @ericgus mentioned, we’ve had our focus on a few other projects lately. We don’t have an ETA on this right now.

OK, my current hd has been on the Tablo for almost 2 yrs. Is it ext3 or ext4 and can I copy it on to a new hd that will be formated on Tablo now with ext4 now???

OK, my current hd has been on the Tablo for almost 2 yrs. Is it ext3 or ext4 and can I copy it on to a new hd that will be formated on Tablo now with ext4 now???

Since you 'll be doing a file-by-file copy, it doesn’t matter if the file system types are different. It would be different if you were doing a bit-by-bit (or byte by byte) copy.