How to find my Tablo SSID

I’ve already included my thoughts that the sky 60 may not be the proper antenna for this location and that an antenna like a clearstream 4v might be better. Since I have a Sky 60 I don’t think it’s power injector is superior to other amplifiers.

And since I live 3 miles away, if the location is east of pomerado rd, north of poway road, and around carriage lane but not at the top of carriage hieghts, channels 8-1 and 10-1 would probably be blocked from LOS by 1,100 foot Van Dam Peak.

Of course there is always the possibility of adding an additional antenna where each could be pointed at the two transmission tower directions. These could be joined with a product like the new channelmaster jointenna product. I’ve never had the need for this type of product so I have no idea how well they work.

lol you have me triangulated very well. I am in the Carriage Heights complex, in the middle of a 4-townhouse unit that has a roofline oriented pretty much N/S.

I’m already out of pocket for this sky 60 and want to try everything possible before dismounting it and buying something else (because I have way exceeded the bestbuy 15-day antenna return period).

Van Dam peak, didn’t know it was called that, but it is mostly due west, the peak is a tiny bit north of me, so I would think it is out of the way from the soledad towers that are SW (235deg)

I have gotten CBS/ABC plenty strong before, when the antenna had visibility in that direction, or even was looking out a window on the W side of the house, so hopefully bumping a few feet up above the roofline will pull everything in (and not stick out so high that the neighbors/HOA come after me)

The HOA can’t do anything about mounting an antenna. According to the FCC you are legally allowed to mount a TV antenna at 15 feet off the roof. Many people have taken their HOAs to the FCC when an HOA balked at having antennas installed and HOAs have lost every time. It is ILLEGAL for an HOA to prevent anyone from installing an antenna within the FCC guidelines and the FCC will send them a notice to this effect when alerted!

thanks, good to know! Time to install a jungle gym on the roof, I’ve always wanted to watch local channels from Portland

I haven’t lived and worked in the area for over 45 years and not know the area. But there are also some small hills at the I-15/Mercy road exit that may be getting in the way.

San Diego transmission towers are only located at two different locations. The hi-vhf channels 8-1,10-1 on Mt Soledad and 39-1,15-1, 51-1, 69-1 located in the Spring Valley area.

If you can point the Sky directly at 8-1/10-1 and receive good reception and then point the antenna toward spring valley and receive good reception and you don’t want the cost of a larger/different antenna, then maybe you might want a second antenna with a joiner. The second antenna might even a form of a flatwave form that is used within the condo.

I’ve had good luck with a winegard 5500a but there also many others.

I’ve never used a joiner so I don’t know how well they work.

I just used a cheap splitter, works fine.

I have heard conflicting reports about whether a joiner (or splitter in reverse) creates phase interference with digital signals (or perhaps just with analog)

It’s been a while. Bought a 5ft length of galvanized electrical conduit and 2 hose clamps, planning to go up there and raise the antenna higher.

Hooked everything up and ran a scan before going up the ladder, all channels present.

So holding off for now, but I expect this is variable/weather-dependent.

Off to BestBuy to replace the WD MyPassport with a (probably more expensive) USB drive that is Tablo-friendly…

Looks like WD Elements is only a little pricier

Tried browsing through the live channels (can’t experiment with recording/dvr since Tablo doesn’t recognize WD MyPassport at all)

Was watching ABC and got “Loading” screen for at least a solid minute with no mvmt on progress bar. That’s local wifi, right?

Came downstairs to desktop computer and was able to tune in ABC in browser

Several weeks ago the Decades channel had a Lucy marathon. I recorded some of the episodes including the one where she climbs up a ladder onto the roof to mount an antenna. Hilarious!

FYI gave up. Mailed the Tablo back to Amazon. Will make do with netflix+sling and whatever else comes through the roku. Don’t really care about losing CBS. Now that Good Wife is gone, there’s nothing left we really care about. Survivor/Amazing Race but whatever. We’ve never had Netflix so we’ve got tons of series to catch up on.