How many remote viewers at once?

Can’t seem to find a definitive answer for this: How many devices can view the Tablo at the same time remotely? I see for local viewing, live is limited by the number of tuners and watching a recording is limited to 6 when Tablo is hardwired or 3 when on wifi. Things get a little more confusing for me when it comes to remote viewing although. How many devices can be used at the same time for the following scenarios using the 2 tuner model (streaming remote, not locally)?

__ devices can stream 2 separate channels at the same time at full quality
__ devices can stream 1 live channel at the same time at full quality
__ devices can stream 2 live channels at the same time at reduced quality
__ devices can stream 1 live channel at the same time at reduced quality
__ devices can stream a specific recording at the same time at full quality
__ devices can stream a specific recording at the same time at reduced quality
__ devices can stream 2 different recordings at the same time at full quality
__ devices can stream 2 different recordings at the same time at reduced quality

I just want to make sure Tablo will fit the bill for my remote viewing needs before I jump in.

When using Tablo Connect to stream remotely, it depends heavily on whether you are using full quality or one of the reduced quality settings.

If your home network and remote network can support it, full quality makes your remote device act like a local device on your system. So you watch a recording without using a tuner, and watching live tv takes up only one tuner. Theoretically, you could have multiple remote devices working at the same time, but you would pretty much need fiber ethernet at home with a big upload pipe.

If you need to use the reduced quality settings, you will be using both tuners for any remote device. You can watch both live and recorded shows remotely, but any users at home would be limited to watching recorded shows or watching a show that you are currently watching live remotely. You wouldn’t be able to record two shows at the same time.

Here is more info on the number of remote connections that can be established if you want more detail: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/207738203-Connecting-to-Tablo-Away-from-Home-Part-2

Here’s a simple way to figure it out. Remember, each “tuner” in the Tablo is actually a tuner/encoder combo unit. It takes one “tuner” to record anything. It also takes one “tuner” to remote stream at anything less than the original recording quality, as the video needs to be re-encoded. And tuning into a live broadcast is the same as trying to record it.

So recording a show takes a tuner. Watching live locally takes a tuner. Watching remotely (live or recorded) at less than original quality takes a tuner. Add them up for whatever you want to do.

Simple answer - don’t try to use a two tuner for much of anything remote.

Another option, if you do a lot of remote viewing, is to lower your recording quality so you can view remotely at Full Quality. I have sometimes done this when I am travelling and it works a treat.

Ok that all makes sense, thanks for the info. Another thing I am curios about, if 2 devices are watching the same live channel, is that using 1 tuner or 2?

That uses one tuner:

source: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/201749027-Chapter-5-Using-the-Tablo-App

(assuming you are talking about watching locally - I am not sure what happens with remote viewing in this case).

If you are remotely viewing with full quality, that uses one tuner. You would not be able to do that with lesser quality, since each remote device would use two tuners.

I see, so 2 people viewing the same live channel remotely at reduced quality would take the 4 channel model… Thanks for all the info!