How does the Apple AirPlay interface really work?

I’m trying to decide how I would setup a new Tablo installation. Since I already have an Apple TV unit and an iPad, I am trying to figure out how Tablo integrates with the two. When running the Tablo app on the iPad, does it pull the Tablo video stream to/through the iPad wirelessly, sending the video stream out to the Apple TV? If so, I can understand why I might want to go the Roku route which would be a much more efficient process with both the Tablo and Roku devices on a wired Ethernet network.

@imann1107 - Tablo uses AirPlay to send video to the AppleTV wirelessly from iPads and iPhones. Unfortunately since Apple TV has locked down development on that platform, we aren’t able to create a native app. 

technically airplay “hands off” the stream from the iOS device to the AppleTV … the video itself is not routed thru the iOS mobile device.

If you have a computer that you can install and run the Plex server software on and you can follow a couple instructions you can make your AppleTV run Plex. no longer need your iPad for viewing on the big screen. And you control everything on the tablo with your Apple TV remote via Plex. Except for record and delete.

If you have a computer that you can install and run the Plex server software on and you can follow a couple instructions you can make your AppleTV run Plex. no longer need your iPad for viewing on the big screen. And you control everything on the tablo with your Apple TV remote via Plex. Except for record and delete.

Some of those tricks dont work on the newer appletv3 … 

They work with both of my AppleTV 3 including one I just bought a month and a half ago. I was on another discussion on this form contemplating buying a Roku but with the crappy UI and some of the issues and complaints found on this form. I decided to take a chance and buy another Apple TV and it works fine.