HEVC (h.265) support for 4K

Not much to say about it except that it should be on the road map for next gen hardware if it isn’t already. Current hardware might not be able to handle the encoding load. The 4 tuner might with a single stream but I’m not holding my breath.

The first ever test broadcast stream for 4K just happened this week. It’ll take years for it to be adopted so we’ve got some time to think about this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The ATSC 3.0 physical layer has been undergoing testing around the world since last May. And was raised to candidate level in September. The recent CES broadcast in Las Vegas was just a rehash of the previous testing.

And since ATSC 3.0 is incompatible with ATSC 1.0, I don’t think you will need to worry about the power of your current tablo server.

By then 16K ultra ultra super HD tv will be hitting the market… lol…

I would think that once you go above 8k your TV will need chips supporting a new HDMI standard, As well as cables, connectors, a 55 inch screen size or bigger, etc,etc. So the tablo server is probably the least of the costs.

While I’m helping set the road map I might as well clarify that this request should also include 10 bit yuv colorspace.

:smiley:

And surround sound!! lmao

2 Likes

Since tablo is a OTA device that is dependent of on hardware supplied by suppliers that conform to the various ATSC standards, anyone can read the ATSC standards at:

www.atsc.org