HDHomeRun on AppleTV

NAS is by no means overrated…mine has multiple practical purposes for me.

Yeah, you do have to buy their tuner separately. So you’re right, that can get expensive.

I have no need for a NAS. I have one desktop.

Sooooo dont get one. I have a need for one, hence why I have one…

1 Like

I’m just pointing out that your initial post made it sound like Tablo was behind HDHomeRun, which is certainly not the case.

Each product out there offers a different solution which will fit different people’s needs.

My mistake. I was focusing on the Apple TV app per the article I copied. By no means do I think they’re catch up on a wholistic solution

I hope they do well though, the more competition, the better the Tablo is going to get.

Couldn’t agree more. I’m a huge promoter of cutting the cord. The more activity we see in this space, the better.

Which NAS are you running anyway? Would it have enough power to run the HDHomeRun DVR software?

I’m running on a synology DS413j. Someone on their forum asked if synology would work with it, and they stated that synology is an officially supported NAS. I’ve owned a few different NAS and so far synology is my fav. It has a ton of built in functionality. They have a new media version that is beefed up to transcode. I would get that if I were to buy a new one.

I just looked up the specs of your NAS, it wouldn’t be fast enough to host a Plex Media Server to transcode the video stream from the HDHomeRun’s MPEG2 to h.264 to get playback on a Roku. Well maybe one stream but you definitely would not be able to view on multiple devices at one time with a 1.6 GHz CPU.

I’m just pointing out anyone would need a very powerful NAS for HDHomeRun DVR and Roku compatibility.

I have no interest in getting HDHomeRun. I’m an avid Tablo user. I’m just excited about the activity in the space.

Yeah, my model isn’t the fastest. However It does run plex server on it without a problem. It does have all my ripped movies on it and has no problem streaming that to roku. As i mentioned above, if i were to get another, i’d get their DS415play

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS415play

Does your Roku Direct Play all your files hosted on your Plex Media Server? Or does the PMS actually do some transcoding once in a while?

not mkv or avi, which is a drawback. Thankfully, i have a WD TV stab which covers my bases there. I’m not sure, but i think the synology play transcodes all those though.

Thats why i’m chomping at the bit for an apple tv app. Tablo on apple TV plus the VLC app should cover my bases and only need one STB (hoping)

Roku can direct play some MKV files, but it is very picky. But if you’re using a WD TV it can play everything.

I’m assuming your Apple TV is the ATV 4 then?

3rd gen right now. Holding out for tablo to release their app. Plus there’s rumor that a 5th gen is in the works. Rumor only, so we’ll see

The standalone app for the Apple TV will be available through the App Store, which I believe will only be on the Apple TV 4.

The 3rd gen doesn’t have an App Store right?

Correct. There’s no real compelling apps that drive me to 4th gen just yet.

I bought a gen 4 to see how I liked it, but I’m really waiting on the Tablo and Amazon Video apps to decide if I’ll get more or just stick with Rokus. I picked up a Nexus Player to test, but it’s not really compelling for me. Doesn’t do Amazon Video, and it doesn’t have an ethernet port. I prefer to keep all my streamers hardwired.

Same reason my ATV4 is still in the shrink wrap… waiting for the Tablo app…