Have to reboot OFTEN! HELP!

I have the Asus RT-N66U running Shibby firmware
I have the Tablo 4 tuner tuner with a WD 1TB WD Elements Portable USB 3.0 Hard Drive Storage (WDBUZG0010BBK-EESN)

I have the router connected to the NETGEAR ProSAFE GS116NA 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS116NA)
The Tablo is also connected to the same switch
Using Cat6 cables

I use a baytech RPC-3 PDU so that I can remotely control the outlets and reboot the tablo whenever it goes down.

It went down again today at 9:30am, right as a show is scheduled to start recording.

I have 984.34gig’s free on the WD drive

The temperature of the ambient air where all the equipment is is 79F

Tablo is running 2.2.13 version

I have the tablo hooked up to an antenna that runs into my attic (GE 33692 Attic Mount HD Antenna - Long Range - Compact Design with Mount for VHF / UHF Channels - 60 Mile Range). It is connected to RG6 quad shielded cable.

I use an 8-Port Bi-Directional Cable TV HDTV Amplifier Splitter Signal Booster with Passive Return (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WDR94U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which is what I use to send the antenna to the Tablo and to the other tv’s directly in my house for when the Tablo goes down so I can switch over to the ATSC tuners in my TV.

I’ve bypassed this amplifier and just hooked up a simple antenna right to the back of the tablo, and still have the same instability.

Every reply I get back from Support, once they log into my Tablo is that the issue was caused by firmware. Every message after I replaced the hard drive and the tablo itself. They claimed some of the earlier outages were due to the hard drive. I tried 3 separate hard drive, all that were listed in the “forum” as working with Tablo. Ultimately I bought the one support told me to buy, and even though the tablo still goes offline the same as before, Support says the logs say that the issue isn’t with the hard drive anymore, its firmware bugs.

What else can I provide that may help get to the bottom of this?

Mine is siting on a wire shelf, so it has plenty of air getting underneath it.

I live in a big city and i have a lot of local stations, and they all come in great. I’m within 20 miles of all broadcast antennas, and I have my antenna mounted in the attic and I’m over 80% signal on all the channels I care about.

I’ve used a little set of rabbit ears to try to eliminate other hardware issues (cable/amp/antenna) and still had the instability.

Thank you for the post and for trying to help. Is your tablo connected via WiFi? Mine is wired straight into my router.

It sounds like the issue is fairly consistent for the 9:30 airing of Daniel. Is there anyway you could reach out to the station and ask if there is anything at their end that could impact the signal you receive at that time of day? Maybe give them the a list of the times when the tablo has gone responsive.

I know it’s a long shot but if there is something that knowledge could be helpful to Nuvyyo to finding a solution.

My Tablo is wired to my router. Always has been.

Something else to think about. We used to have a wireless 2.4 ghz phone that when we used it, we would completely lose wifi (also on 2.4 ghz) to our laptop if it was in the same room as the phone. Hang up the phone the laptop would reconnect. I also have a dlink webcam I use for security in the garage when we are away from home. That too is on 2.4 ghz and has caused interference with other devices. Then there is our current wireless home phones. If I sit in the living room on one of those phones near where the modem, router, Tablo and Vonage box sits it is ripe with crackly interference. Move away from that area and it clears up.

In the living room where we watch most TV we have our Nexus player on the 5ghz band of our router so none of the other devices cause any issues with the signal.

The reason I bring this up is because you seem to have Tablo issues at the same time of day. Could something be running at that time causing enough interference to freak out your Tablo? Could said interference be coming from outside your house?

It’s not only at 9:30. It seems to be whenever shows are recording though. But even that isn’t 100%. Tablo support says they pulled the logs and they have elevated my case. Hopefully they will find something. My Tablo is wired too so the interference would have to be strong enough to just into the cat6 cable. No microwave close by and some of the time nobody is home when it goes down. I get emails and texts the minute it goes down so I know every time now.

I have a decent size lot but I guess anything is possible when it comes to interference from outside.

Thanks for the thoughts Bruce. PBS is my strongest signal however when it went down before it was during the Super Bowl which was not on PBS. So I think it must be something besides the tv station.

It went down again. I had three days of stability. Tablo support logged into it today and saw the three days basically questioned me on why they saw manual resets (i was trying to get it into heartbeat mode) but didn’t say anything to what else the logs had. Then at 12:15 today it went down again and PRTG had to reboot the power outlet to cycle it. Then at 12:40 it went down again.

The changes I made where:

1. Add active cooling, put a fan under it that’s made for cooling a laptop
  2. Make the statically assigned DHCP have an infinite lease time, which took effect after I restarted the tablo.

It wasn’t strange to have a period of several days of stability, but I was really hopeful that this would fix it. now i have to get home, put it into heartbeat mode again and get support to log into one more time and pull the logs to determine why is continues to go down.

Wish me luck.

An update: David from support confirmed the last lockups were due to firmware bug, but their engineers are still analyzing it. They said they are deploying a firmware beta that should further instances of this cropping up in the coming days/week.

So I just wait and see. I’ve had that same reply several times, so their firmware definitely has some issues with stability and seems to have had stability issues for the past 1.5 years now. I hope they can get this figured out, or they can release a more controlled ecosystem so they can guarantee stability.

You should ask if they would downgrade your firmware to 2.2.10.
I am still on 2.2.10, since from what I could see on the forum 2.2.12 and 2.2.13 don’t look stable.
I have had no problems since I have been on 2.2.10.

Version on my Tablo is 2.2.12 and it’s running fine… Are you running the official release version? Maybe your Tablo is bricked? Yeah, I would ask support if they can downgrade you to previous firmware that is stable… Depend on how bugged your Tablo is, you may or may not get your Tablo’s stability like it used to…

Support is who upgraded me to the latest beta’s. you can’t upgrade on your own, they have to put you on a list. They saw some of my crashes and said it was due to the firmware and moved me up to Beta’s. I’ve been having this crashing issue since like .8 I think. Whenever I first bought it. It was having the FF/RW bug where it would lock up my Roku, and then stability issues.

I may ask them to downgrade me if that is possible if they can’t get me a working beta quickly. Good suggestion. Thank you.