Has anyone tried Power over Ethernet (PoE)?

I’d like to move my Tablo closer to my antenna, to reduce line losses and because, well, there is no need to look at it. My attic doesn’t have power outlets so I’m considering trying a PoE injector/splitter to use the Ethernet cable for power. My goal would be to run a single Cat6 cable between my office (switch) and my Tablo/antenna, instead of the coax cable running there today.

This option is cheap and uses the native DC brick but I can’t verify if the 5.5 x 2.1mm power jack matches up.

This option costs more but has its own power source with adjustable voltage, but once again I’m not sure the Tablo jack is compatible.

I realize neither of these is “standard” 802.3af PoE which has a higher voltage and can be built into a network switch – maybe future Tablos will have built-in PoE like WAPs and video cameras are beginning to include. And I realize that jury-rigging my own PoE solution will probably be unsupported, but I was looking for feedback/ideas.

At a minimum, can anyone verify whether the Tablo uses a “5.5 x 2.1mm” DC power jack?

Are you referring to Powerline Ethernet adapters?

If so, yes it works great to connect a Tablo to your router. Get a 500 Mbps one, not a 200 Mbps one.

Are you referring to Powerline Ethernet adapters?

If so, yes it works great to connect a Tablo to your router. Get a 500 Mbps one, not a 200 Mbps one.

No, he’s talking about Power Over Ethernet.  If you can get a compatible plug and voltage to split the power out of the ethernet, then it could work nicely.

@peterxian, my best guess is that even if voltage and amperage were in range and even converting the “plug” if needed, there are just a lot of variables in the equation.  PoE is for certain scenarios, for sure, but your Tablo really needs to be inside (cool) and by a power outlet using the approved adapter it comes with.  I think anything else is asking for problems.

Personally, and just because it’s becoming more ubiquitous… might be interesting to be able to power Tablo over USB.  But thinking about the heat production, I can already say the answer to that is probably “no” until there’s a chip that consumes less power available that could be used in some future product.

@peterxian, my best guess is that even if voltage and amperage were in range and even converting the "plug" if needed, there are just a lot of variables in the equation.  PoE is for certain scenarios, for sure, but your Tablo really needs to be inside (cool) and by a power outlet using the approved adapter it comes with.  I think anything else is asking for problems.

I agree that the attic is probably too harsh an environment (temperature wise) for the Tablo (but perhaps he lives in a place like San Franciso where an attic would be fine).  I don’t agree that you have to use only Tablo’s power adapter - you just need to meet the power spec (which I don’t know off hand).  If PoE has the correct power delivery for the Tablo, it would be a fine substitute for the factory provided adapter.

@ChrisFix, think about this for a second … I think I’ll run a 200 ft. extension cable from my power brick to the Tablo… I think maybe then you’ll be able to see my point.  There can be some math involved (or troubleshooting with a meter). 

At a minimum, can anyone verify whether the Tablo uses a "5.5 x 2.1mm" DC power jack?

I got out my caliper and the Tablo power plug is 10mm long, 5.5mm outside diameter, and approx 2.5mm inside diameter (for receiving the center pin).  The inside diameter is a bit hard to measure with my caliper, and has a pair of metal springs down the sides to secure the pin, so it would probably hold a 2.1mm center pin.  The center pin on the actual Tablo is too deep for me to get the caliper on to measure.

@ChrisFix, think about this for a second ... I think I'll run a 200 ft. extension cable from my power brick to the Tablo... I think maybe then you'll be able to see my point.  There can be some math involved (or troubleshooting with a meter). 

Not going to get into a pissing contest with you, but PoE is DC, not AC, and the unit he listed is rated for 100 meters, so in your 200 ft example, it would be perfectly fine.

I use them here and they work great…  I use the TP Link nano 500

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422484387&sr=8-1&keywords=power+over+ethernet&pebp=1422484390669&peasin=B00AWRUICG

edit: nmd I just realized the OP was talking about power over ethernet not AC … 

@peterxian - While this would be cool to run the tablo with POE I would not do it. The biggest reason is that the reset button on the back of the tablo is your friend, you will be pressing it often. Also there is the heat issue, the tablo runs extremely hot and very close to overheating so locating this in a warm space is a big no no.

@ChrisFix, oh… I’d still make sure of course! :-)  I’m just saying there are variables, but I don’t know the specifics with regards to CAT5 PoE and run lengths and voltage drop.  I’ll defer to your experience.

Cat5 twisted pair would have some loss as it’s a small conductor. Since PoE is DC and low voltage at that, it’s not going to interfere with the data. Ethernet uses only 2 pair of the 4 pair in standard cable. 

We’ve used power injectors to power APs we stuck over the ceiling at work. the injectors were in the data closets and the APs were probably 50 feet away tops. Frankly I’d opt to pull a dedicated conductor of larger size if going that distance - I would simply extend the standard Tablo power supply conductor using heavier wire.  THEN you are using THEIR PS, THEIR exact voltage and Ma rating, etc.
So my question, why risk voiding a warranty, power supply issues and so on when it would be easier to simply extend the Tablo power supply cord using - 18 ga. lamp cord!
Check the power requirements of the Tablo - check the output of the supply they send with the unit. 
I’ve done PoE for network equipment I KNOW was able to run on it with the proper power injectors. You have to inject the power into the cable, then get it back off at the other end in the case of the Tablo since it’s not designed for it. If running a Cat5 why not wrap another conductor pair with it and do that. Low voltage will suffer more loss than running AC that distance. 
 I have to make such calculations all the time in my auto-electric business where I upgrade charging systems, install high-end stereo equipment and swap modern engines and fuel injection into older cars (talk about power requirements, EFI has a need for POWER and it’s got to be spotless clean power! An alternator with a bit too much ripple will screw up a lot of new EFI and computer systems. I had fun putting a later model EFI engine into my little Eagle. I had to do some math…