Has anyone ever had a reboot caused by overdriven signal on a new Tablo Quad?

I am trying to decide if I should buy a new Quad. Lately, I am having more frequent reboots caused by overdriven signal on 3 different strong channels. I have searched this forum, and it seemed to happen only when the signal is week on the new Tablo Quad. One person here have said that his reboot problem went away with a new Tablo Quad. My original Tablo 4 tuners is over 5 year old, and trying to see if it is time for a new one?
Thank’s

Yes. I had a four tuner that started to reboot during a recording. That was the reason Tablo support gave me for the reboots. I removed the pre-amp in the attic to reduce the signal level. It has been fine since. Tablo support recommended a signal attenuator on the four-tuner to reduce the level, you can buy them in various DB signal loss levels 2, 4 16, 40, etc. I choose to remove the pre-amp first., and it resolved the reboots.

My antenna setup had not changed since long before I bought the Tablos and they were fine for a the first few years. Also a two tuner did not have this issue. My understanding the four-tuner has a 4 way splitter and the two tuner has a two way splitter. So you would think t a two tuner would have more of an a issue with an overdriven signal.

But reducing the signal level fixed the issue. One low power station dropped to the yellow level in the morning (68% to 70%) but picked up to green (over 75%) in the evenings after removing the pre-amp.

The error message says “overdriven signal” ??

Are you talking about a Tablo Quad or an original 4 tuner Tablo?

This issue for me happened on a original 4-tuner. Later when I bought a quad the rep-amp was already gone so it has not had any issues. A few attenuators may be cheaper then a new quad.

No, I can’t remember the exact wording. But for me the reboot only happen with the 3 strongest channels. I have an amplifier that I could take out, but then I would loose a channel that I really want to keep. I am in Canada and there is only 7 channels that I want to keep. Just trying to see if I could keep all 7 channels with a new Tablo Quad without rebooting.

Somehow Tablo support was able to look at my 4-tuner and diagnosed it was an overdriven signal that was causing the reboots. So if you have not yet log a support case and let them look at the logs.

Are all of the channels you want to receive in the same direction? If the weakest signal is in a different direction than the three strongest signals, you might be able to redirect your antenna away from the strong signals and toward the weak signal and thereby equalize your signals better.

You can also purchase amplifiers that are tuned for a specific frequency or if the weakest signal is vhf and the other signals are uhf, you could get a second antenna that is designed specifically for vhf, amplify that signal and then join the two signals together.

1 Like

Being a strong signal vs signal quality arent always the same. Then there’s always occasional interference even to a strong signal.