Hardwiring and Ethernet switches

Recently got a Tablo and loving it! However we have a need to have an Ethernet cable plugged into our kindle fire tv. Will it work to purchase an Ethernet switch box and use that to run our Ethernet cable? We have three tv locations and two of them for sure will need to be hard wired for reliable signal. How do the switch boxes work? Does the cable from the modem still go to the router and then the cable from the router into the switch? Trying to figure out the easiest route and most economical cost.

Sounds like you just need an inexpensive Ethernet switch. Maybe this’ll help you get started:

HTG Explains: Understanding Routers, Switches, and Network Hardware

1 Like

Another solution could be ethernet powerline adapters. They may not be cheaper and use a power outlet but can be used for hard to get to locations where there is no desire to run additional ethernet cables. And you can mix and match switches and powerline adapter.

A switch can be run into a powerline adapter where the other adapter connects to the router.

Use an Ethernet switch, alternately I would look at Actiontec MoCa adapters. Powerline while it works can be sketchy because of electrical noise.

Re: Ethernet switch is pretty much plug and play these days. Without getting into the technical aspects you just basically plug in an Ethernet cable from your router into the switch then run a cable from the switch to each of your end devices and that is pretty much it.

Note I don’t think hubs are available anymore but you do not want to use a hub. It will cause problems with streaming media.

1 Like

Didn’t MoCa suffer a fast painful death. I don’t think d-link, tp-link, or netgear even sell them anymore.

I second the use of powerline ethernet adapters. This is a summary of my media network…
PA - powerline ethernet adapter
WAP - wireless access point (has built in switch)

Roku 3 <--> PA <--|
                  | --> PA <--> WAP <--> Tablo
Roku 3 <--> PA <--|

No, they are still going fine. I just bought 3 pairs of them to network my new house.

I use MoCA adapters in several locations in my house. They work extremely well.

I think if you visit the d-link, netgear, and tp-link WEB sites you wiil find that they no longer have a menu that sells MoCa adapters. Each of these vendors use to sell MoCa adapters. Hopefully that isn’t a definition for “still going fine”.

I have a Giga bit switch that has 2 tablos and a Roku. The switch is connected to a powerline adapter where the matching adapter is connected to a Gigabit LAN router - Which feeds WIFI 5G to devices down stairs.

Thanks for all the advice. We have an Ethernet switch on order.

Depending on the distance, WiFi might work. I have everything wireless and no problem, but have an EXCELLENT router with Wireless AC. Another option if WiFi won’t cover it, is multiple bridges such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320241&cm_re=wireless_bridge--33-320-241--Product

I know I’m late to mention anything - was out of town for Christmas.

I think Actiontec kind of owns the market is why others have bailed out. MoCA works extremely well. I have been running it for five years at very high bit rates. I highly recommend it for people with a good coax infrastructure in their home but do not have Ethernet run or for that odd location that only has a coax drop.

I do not recommend power line, too many noise problems on home power wiring.