Hard Drives bigger than 2 TB

I cut my cord back in 2010 and currently always seem to have about 4 TB of shows unwatched.  Of course they are MPEG-2 due to the older DVR (SageTV) not being able to use the newer HDHR mpeg4 transcoders/tuners.  I am guessing the 2GB drive limit is OS related?   Will that limitation be changed in the future?   Can it use a NAS, like a synology?  Thanks for any information.   I have been reading about this device and was thinking about adding it. 

Bill Connell
San Diego, CA  

Larger than 2 TB support to come in the future. No idea when.

You cannot use a NAS. Needs a dedicated USB HDD.

I believe that being able to use a second 2 TB drive will come faster than support for larger drives.  It has to do with the sector size and the OS.  If they do fix the sector size problem, there is no telling if the existing Tablos will be able to be upgraded. @TabloSupport can you share any information on either or both second disk or larger than 2 TB disk being used on the Tablo?

@beastman - Sorry, your prediction is wrong :slight_smile:   We’ll definitely have larger drive support sooner than 2nd drive support. We’re getting there on supporting larger drives but have a couple of nagging bugs in the new kernel to solve before we can switch. 

@beastman - Sorry, your prediction is wrong :)   We'll definitely have larger drive support sooner than 2nd drive support. We're getting there on supporting larger drives but have a couple of nagging bugs in the new kernel to solve before we can switch. 

I guess the folks at Tablo need a bigger fly swatter… those Canadian bugs must be big, sort of like the Minnysoda skeeters. They are the size of Leer jets. 

I’ll take either

@shadowspapa - Our mosquitos can be troublesome but in this case we’re relying on one of our chip providers and an outsourced third party to help solve the issues which is what’s taking a bit of time. Lots of pieces of the puzzle to get sorted out!  

Sounds sort of like Iowa’s i3 app - they outsource the development of the app itself to some group that is still saying that it’s only compatible with IE 9 or earlier and Java versions in the 6.xx range.

HOWEVER, the state’s CIO office states that state agencies must run current versions of JAVA that are so far known to be safe and that IE must be current and patched. 
So, on one hand the state says you must run old JAVA and old IE, on the other hand you must run current JAVA and current IE.
I want to get them all into a room, leave and lock the door behind me and make them figure it out. 

I’m with beastman - I’d take either as either would benefit most or at least many of us!
Bigger drives would be cool but then you’d have the trouble of all that stuff on your current or existing drive that you CAN’T transfer to a new drive, so many of us would be up that old creek with no means of locomotion,
a second drive would at least let us add capacity, maybe… depending on how it was implemented, without having to lose all that was on the existing drive since there’s no means of transferring from one drive to another.