Hard drive won't format - solved

My hard drive, a 2TB Western Digital (something?) in a generic USB enclosure would not format after repeated attempts. Tablo would show that it was formatting the drive, the drive light would show activity for a while but ultimately I’d end up back with Tablo telling me that the drive needed formatting.

So I took the drive and connected it to a Linux box (Ubuntu 13.10) and formatted the drive as FAT32 (it had been ext3 before attempting to format with Tablo). Then plugged it back into Tablo, went through the Tablo format process, and it finally worked.

That’s good info @howdysteve - We haven’t had a lot of luck with drives in generic USB enclosures. Keep us posted on how your reformatted drive works.

Things aren’t working so well. All I get are recordings with the red ! next to them. If I restart everything, then I get a good recording or two and then back to red !. It would be nice if I could see what happened. Is there any way to access an error log?

@howdysteve - Yes, there is. Please send a note to the support team (support@tablotv.com) and they’ll look into this for you. We’ll get it solved so you can start getting some successful recordings. 

I would guess that it’s still your hard drive though. Even though it may have formatted, it may be frequently disconnecting from Tablo and a disconnect during recording would cause a failure. 

What Hard drives work with this product. I could not find a 2 TB drive so I bought a 3TB drive. Well that didn’t work. Then I pulled out some old 500MB drives. Well that didn’t work! 

As I understand it I can watch anything without a HD. Pretty sloppy product development considering a HD is integral to the system working. So… what works I can’t watch anything I’ve spent hundreds of dollars and got nothing but a pile of s**t.

Get your act together! 

There is an extensive thread in stickied on this forum about what hard drives work and which ones don’t. The requirements also clearly state it needs to be 2 TB or smaller.

The Tablo folks are trying to make more drives compatible (it must be a very difficult problem since they have spent about a year on it), but the user community has been really good pointing out the good ones.

@GZraick

Which 500 GB drive were you trying? Please provide exact make and model.

I’ve tried internal 200 GB and 320 GB drives with a USB enclosure and they work well.

There is an extensive thread in stickied on this forum about what hard drives work and which ones don't. The requirements also clearly state it needs to be 2 TB or smaller.

The Tablo folks are trying to make more drives compatible (it must be a very difficult problem since they have spent about a year on it), but the user community has been really good pointing out the good ones.

Not only that thread, but it’s talked about in several other threads here, and it’s in the FAQ that it’s limited to 2T and then not all 2T.

Also they mention somewhere about enclosures. I can’t recall the details, but there’s something about that as well.
I have found that my 2T drive works fine, although it’s not even 1/4 full, zero drive issues. Also a 160 gig in a dock worked fine, too. 

@GZraick - Sorry to hear you ran into an issue with your hard drives. As the other users have pointed out, Tablo is currently unable to work with hard drives larger than 2TB and other drives due to sector size issues. This is an issue that we’ve been working on (as Snowcat pointed out) and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Once we have completed work on our new kernel you’ll be able to use that lovely 3TB drive.

In the meantime, we’d recommend that you check out this blog post and especially the link at the bottom which will point you to several user-generated lists of drives that folks have had success with: https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-usb-hard-drive-specifications-suggestions/

If you have any further issues, please touch base with @TabloSupport and we’ll give you a hand.