Hard drive gone bad

I have just had my second brand new hard drive go bad in 6 months. I have done nothing with them besides hooking them to my Tablo.

Has anyone else had a problem with Tablo corrupting hard drives?

Yes…see above link. I went through 2 hard drives. One hard drive was new and the other was lightly used but both were port-powered laptop 4200-5400rpm drives. The new drive is still accessible on my PC and SMART scans show no bad sectors. The slightly used drive was corrupted bad and has millions of bad sectors marked and is now unusable. Then, after some time, the Tablo would start failing seemingly randomly. Then it outright refused to see anything attached to the USB ports. All of this was from a brand new Tablo that was less than 2 months old. After 3 weeks of failed troubleshooting I was eventually sent a new Tablo at which point I attached yet another new hard drive to it. We’ll see how it goes.

There’s not much for good alternatives out there though. The only thing I have going for me is that I was at a local thrift store and happened to find a complete, boxed, and working HDHomerun Connect 2-tuner device for the amazing price of $4.99. Luckily for me whoever priced it didnt know what it was so I got out with a steal…and it’ll be my fall back if/when this next Tablo fails.

Ironic, last night my hard drive died. Almost 3 years old.

When I connect it to the computer, the computer doesn’t recognize it at all (says something about a bad USB drive)

@rccolts We should be able to check on the drive from our end to see what’s going on! Send our team a note if you haven’t already :slight_smile: