Hard drive clone

I dont think anyone has really come up with a “non programmer” method yet… Though the Tablo folks hinted above they are planning one…

I don’t know that I can wait that long. :wink:

Well if you are feeling lucky and adventurous grab a gParted iso file and boot it into a new parallels virtual machine (dont bother configuring the virtual machine in any significant way because the gparted program is designed to run off the boot CD ROM … ) … in a virtual machine you cant do any real harm unless you purposefully connect external devices to the virtual machine… there are a few tutorials and videos on youtube that explain how to use it to clone drives… I am just not sure how effective it would be using a virtual machine with external (presumably usb3) hard drives … but hey people do interesting and curious things all the time.

I got it loaded. Now I shall see If I can figure this stuff out

I found it to be scarier to think about, than to do. I had a bunch of worries about messing something up. As long as you can boot from the disc, and have a natural ability to follow along with a computer, it wasn’t really very complicated, but like I mentioned, it took a LOOOOOng time. Like Overnight.

I am taking your advice. We shall see how this turns out. Gracias.

If you have USB3 it should run faster… if something is usb2 then it will default to slow (overnight).

No one mentioned it, but has anyone tried SuperDuper on OS X?

Many of the disk copiers on OSX are but “file copiers” and dont work at the block-level … the only one I know for sure is Carbon Copy Cloner but I dont know if its designed to handle anything other than HFS+ …{nb: I haven’t had a whole lot of time to research this but it would be ideal to find something native that works with EXT and other formats}

Hey all,

Great news! It appears to have worked! Thanks @ericgus and @philsoft!

It took 4+ hours for about 450 GB of recordings. I downloaded an Gparted iso and ran it virtualized in Parallels on OS X.

I’ll let you know if I run into any issues or gotchas.

1 Like

Oh thats good news … did you do the resize volume to enure the new drive is maximized ?

Yes. I copied the volume, expanded copy to entire size of the drive and then started the process. Tablo shows the full drive size. Its good to know that when a portable 3-4TB drive comes out, I will be able keep expanding my recordings as I upgrade my drive.

Great to hear it worked.

Any one who has expanded their volume, say they went from 1 TB drive to a 2 TB drive, have you actually recorded past the previous volume size? Aka the 1 TB mark, and it’s worked fine?

Yes, I went from a 500GB drive to a 2TB drive, and I currently have about 1TB of recorded material on the drive.

1 Like

Sweet - thanks! I have a 320 GB drive, and I am debating about getting a 2 TB drive or waiting until Tablo releases larger drive support and going 4 TB.

Not sure what your usage habits are, but 2TB is probably all I will ever need. I am at about 1TB full right now, and I watch seasons and delete, so mine hovers right around the 1TB mark for as long as I continue to use it that way.

I tend to delete the adult shows my wife and I watch but the kid shows we keep because our son often likes watch the same episodes over and over …

Got to love kids lol

2 Likes

I’ve become a show hoarder with my 2TB and started offloading some stuff to my network storage drive - depending on how quickly you are filling up your 320GB, might be worth the wait for Tablo support for >2TB which seems to be coming soon. I much prefer Tablo interface than my network storage option.

Add me to the list of people requesting this for OS X .