Guitars By The Pound

I’m in the same boat. Anything that’s out of print, I’ll try to convert it to digital format(s) and this goes for movies as well as music. I don’t have too much luck at antique stores, just a rare find every once in awhile.

1 Like

One of the problems with the OTA sub-channels that are showing older TV series is that they are using the video sources that went to VHS or cheap DVDs without any cleanup or remastering. The quality is poor.

OTOH streaming channels such as CBS All-Access that offer older programs from their libraries are usually remastered and cleaned up versions. This is because they have the original film source to work with. Compare the quality of a Perry Mason on CBS All-Access to the Perry Mason of MeTV. Or the original Hawaii 5-0 on CBS compared to MeTV. Night and day difference.

This is one of the reasons I would subscribe to CBS All-Access - their library of past programming (its quality) even though I get CBS perfectly OTA. CBS was smart to offer something additional for its streaming channel that OTA doesn’t - their library.

An assortment of Albums, specifically ones that are out-of-print and not available on CD. Kept separate, in order to (hopefully) convert at some point.

2 Likes

My brother-in-law is a vinyl addict. He has been collecting albums for over 50 years! He has a collection of over 5,000 LPs. He even has 33s and 78s his dad passed on to him. I’ve asked him to deed his LPs to me in his will when he passes away LOL.

He’s gotten demo tapes over the years from radio stations made by people such as Elvis.

1 Like

Instead of a demo tape they most likely are promotional albums. Many of which were vinyl.

If a promotion album, thousands were sent out to radio stations, TV stations, newspapers, magazines, etc. They usually included a head shot and bio. I even have one with a letter from the PR company.

Unless there are for very famous artists with limited supply, include appropriate promo material or have substantial differences between the promo and actual album, they may not be worth all that much.

Is there all that much demand for Rick Moses or Letta?

I collect bootlegged demos and studio sessions, most of which are found on (old) crude acetate, some tape (usually open-reel). There’s a lot of great bootlegged demo material, at a cost, and all kinds of great unauthorized and unreleased material outt of Japan, Germany and Russia.

Bootlegged usually does mean an unofficially released recording.

Sometimes the older ones don’t have ownership since the recording studio,etc. has gone out of business and no one bought the rights.

I would suspect everything else has ownership even though the courts may have to rule on who that really is. Even some of the Beatles recording sessions were owned by EMI.

You can know it’s a real bootleg when it’s on acetate. they would sneak tapes from the cutting floor out to a van in the alley and press out crude acetates (or steal the demo acetates from the studio). Once they’ve converted those to tape / disc, etc., the value gets watered down. It is why I mostly collect raw acetate recordings. I do have a lot of bootlegged Beatle material, stuff you will never hear on Anthology collections or anything of that sort.

Another type of bootleg, is when somebody (or some small group) takes legal material and presses it out on CD, makes compilations, etc. and will often include a track or two of unreleased material. The Russians love this and they are prolific.

Here’s a Beatle bootleg from Japan, for example. The Yesterday and Today album with the infamous “Butcher Cover”. It has all the songs from the album proper, adds in some unreleased material, practice sessions and studio out-takes.

butchercoverjapan

Double album, made to look like the original records (with the Capitol Records label). Here’s a Chinese bootleg of Yellow Submarine.

There are “official” versions of this disc in China, Macau, etc., and “less than legal” versions, which contain the album proper and a separate disc with unauthorized material. And of course, there are bootlegged Beatles cartoons:

beatlecartoons20

beatlecartoons23

1 Like

Give this girl a 40-dollar cheapie (from my childhood) and look what she does with it. And nylon strings, no less. Just goes to show how valuable guitars really are, even by the pound … even the cheap ones.

We’re going to open mic events in LA tonight & tomorrow. She, me (and my girlfriend who’s also excellent). And I promise, no more BeeGees.

2 Likes

Sounds awesome! One of my favourite guitars is my Yamaha CG-110 that my parents bought me… ummm… 35 years ago. Gee. I didn’t really want to calculate that number in retrospect!

I still prefer the cool sound of Nylon and often play the same finger-plucky/mute-y/chuck-y style that your friend does.

Love it!

1 Like

That CG-110 was ahead of it’s time, still plays well and sounds great. Nylon strings and classical-type acoustics are hard to play! Hats off to you for being one of those who can.

A mid-range Takamine with a modified Martin (undersaddle) pickup. Makes a $400 guitar sound like a million bucks (even in the hands of girlfriends & others). Last night in LA, making the open mic rounds.

*** Might rename this topic, rather than to start a new one, I have already contributed too many Off Topics here.

Finally back from Los Angeles (FINALLY), selling five acoustics and three electrics tomorrow. Assortment includes Taylor, Applause, Epiphone, Ibanez, Breedlove, Fender, Schecter and Charvel. I really do sell these by the pound, for those willing to bid on a closed case. Fair prices on straight forward offers as well. Hawthorne district, mid morning through noon. Afterwards, I’ll be at my hoarders anonymous meeting.

2 Likes

Here’s hoping everybody had an excellent July 4th, some of us found much to be thankful for, enough to break out spontaneously in song … on a beach … with a ukelele … with glasses.

Worth the sunburn, the long drive and for getting home dead tired.

2 Likes

while sinking yet (in the sand from the tide I think)

That is beautiful! Because, really, who travels with a ukulele that doesn’t live on an island?

1 Like

Yes, ukelele and “travel guitar”, each of which you can take to the beach, throw in your trunk or even pack in a carry-on bag on the airplane. My favorites:

The Ultral-Light

And a carbon fiber Kloss, which is not only small enough to pack, but foldable as well.