FUBAR Tablo iOS App v 1.1.8. New problems

To RetiredEngineer. If you only have have 400 mb free out of 64 gb I suggest you offload some records.

I find the free SYNCIOS program works great with IPhones to save data to a PC.

http://www.syncios.com/

PS my spell checker has a bad habit of changing mb to Mbps in my earlier post.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation for synciOS. It looks like a very useful program and I will purchase it.

This bug does have the appearance of a memory management problem, yet I am somewhat surprised that no one else has reported experiencing it. I am nearly out of available memory on my current iPhone so perhaps this is why I immediately ran into this problem . I will try to free up more space and see if that helps.

None of my other apps are misbehaving, and the prior version of Tablo worked absolutely fine for years with regard to playing back recorded vdeos so there is something different and broken now in this new release

Canā€™t afford the iPhone, and my flip phone canā€™t load the Tablo app. :wink:

1 Like

I wanted to update this thread now that Iā€™ve had more time to examine what is going on with this new release.

My conclusions are as follows:

1-The freezing issue does seem to be memory dependent, and deleting other apps, photos, etc. to allow the Tablo app more memory definitely helps.

2-The messed up sorting of recordings, as I described them with proof shown above, no longer appears to be a problem. Doing reset and reboot seems to have fixed that problem permanently.

3-The player no longer appears to be able to properly handle playback of recordings in progress. The previous version of the player had messed up scrolling/scrubbing but at least it was able to play any recording while the recording was still being made. This new version never allows any play back, but puts up a black screen with controls to pause, play, fast rewind and forward, along with a scrolling cursor, none of which work whatsoever.

None of these three problems existed in the prior version, which are used five days a week for at least a year on a daily basis to listen to recordings while on the road.

When the app is for whatever reason ā€œupgradedā€, after a very long (over a year) waiting time, all of these new issues show up, some immediately, some after use.

Unlike other threads I have started on this forum, where many other users have reported experiencing identical problems, I remain surprised that this specific thread and the issues it reports do not appear to be happening to others.

Are there other iPhone 6 Plus users out there who are not seeing these issues whatsoever? I find it hard to believe that my phone has some unique attributes which renders it effectively useless for Tablo playback.

I have mentioned previously that my role as an Apple developer does require beta installations of iOS, now on 10.3 . This is the only thing I can think of which could account for my extremely uncommon experience. I have had several beta iOS updates since the new Tablo app was installed, and all have behaved the same.

I plan to remove the beta profile from my personal iPhone as soon as the gold master of iOS 10.3 is released, to avoid any future confusion of this type. I would not be at all surprised if iPhone users who install the official 10.3 release of iOS will then begin to experience the problem I have been reporting.

Hopefully Table will then take whatever steps are necessary to get their iOS app for the iPhone fixed.

Larry

To RetiredEngineer: you are in the best position to do an A:B comparison of the effect of IOS 10.3 on your precise issues with the Tablo app.

I suggest you obtain permission to install the current IOS release 10.2.1 and then re-evaluate Tablo performance. Perhaps you could install the current IOS release using ITunes.

I have no observable problems with IOS 10.2.1 with the Tablo app on my IPhone 6, but I could not verify I have tested against your precise issues.

I do not have the option of removing the beta software from this iPhone, since Iā€™m actively involved in testing and debugging of software.

Having recently installed the newest iOS beta release, 10.3 beta version 4, I am pleased to report that the Tablo player app now seems to work much better .

As I said twice before in this thread, it was entirely possible that my issue with regard to freezing of play back may be related to beta Apple iOS software on my device. I felt particularly convinced since no other users have reported the same issue in this thread.

Presumably, the official 10.3 release will not contain code which creates this problem. I certainly hope that this is the case.

The player does continue to have some timeline scrubbing issues as well as program guide navigation performance trouble, and the latest Tablo app release seems to add no apparent benefits while adding definite instability if the iOS device is nearly out of memory. This problem never existed with the prior version of the iPhone Tablo app which was released about a year and a half ago.