Firmware 2.2.2 drives "Loading, Please Wait"

@TabloTV

Thanks for all the clarification. But from these threads it also does appear individuals with the Roku 3 Model 4200 or 4230 (which has the same internal hardware) are having issues with the 60 fps video. Are you saying these individuals likely have network related problems with the increased bitrate because the Roku 3 has a CPU fast enough to decode the 60 fps video?

That’s a bummer. AT&T just installed a brand new Motorola NVG599 router when I canceled the Uverse Tv and went to internet only. And I got a brand new Roku 3 wired with Cat 6 ethernet cable to the router. The Tablo is wired too. So it looks like the weak link is the Roku.

Not sure the 30 fps for sports is going to be good enough. Especially after seeing the 60 fps display. So until Roku 4 comes out, what’s the next best device to get that can handle 1080P 60 fps? Besides Apple Tv that is.

@theuser86 - That may be the case. Asking the Roku to handle that kind of video is pushing the envelope so if you’ve got a less than ideal network or are relying on WiFi at some point you may have an issue.

@mark1030

This is weird, a hard wired network where both the Tablo and Roku is hard wired should be fast enough to deliver 60 fps video to the Roku 3. Which exact Roku 3? 4200 or 4230?

@TabloTV

I have played local h.264 video in the 12-14 Mbit/s range on the Roku 3 4200 with no issues over the local network. So if individuals are having issues when hard wired with a Roku 3, is it possible how the video is encoded is the issue?

Amazon Fire TV Box (or stick if you don’t mind a slower UI - but it plays back perfectly)

This is vague at best. Where did you get this from? Is it coming from a trusted source at Roku? Can you ask them to define what is much more to them? Is it up to 5mbps, 10?

I had my Roku and Apple TV right next to each other, tried both wired and wireless. Never had a single issue with Apple TV, my Roku would reload and reboot frequently.

Now we can blame the Roku wireless or wired network adapter, the main difference between the Apple TV and the Roku as you mentioned is the one that makes the most sense in my mind:

@TabloTV - agreed the WiFi complicates debugging the issue, but for myself, I’m having the ‘Loading’ issue on a wired network head-to-toes. In fact, the Roku and Tablo are wired directly to a GigE TP-Link C8, with new 3 ft cat 6 cables…so I really can’t believe the issue is in the network end of it - at least for those experiencing the issue on a wired network.

I’ll check when I get home. The serial number I can see from Roku’s website is 4E654L048520 in case there’s a code embedded in it to know which model.

Thanks. I’ll look into that if a fix for Roku isn’t coming.

I’m new to the Roku but have had Apple TV for years. The Roku initially impresses with the content offerings but when you look at the junk channels they have the only real channel I would miss by going exclusively with Apple TV is Amazon. Combine that with their clunky interface and Roku has successfully ditched me as a customer. I am poised to hit “buy” on the Apple TV-4. Now, Tablo, get your App ported from the iPad over to Apple TV.

Roku model 4230X Version 6.2 Build 3672.

Last time, I promise: I record at 720P - Roku/Chromecast. My Tablo is wired through a spanking new ASUS RT-N66U, reputed by others here to be a really good router. Roku 3, but yes, it is wifi; about 15’ from the router. Everything via Plex is perfect, but Live TV and anything recorded with these settings is unwatchable. I truly wish a settings change would fix it. Like many others, I have a wife asking why we don’t just go get Comcast settop and be done with it. She got spoiled by SAGETV; worked perfectly, great interface, tons of options, etc, so we have jumped back years. It is hard to make an argument other than monthly cost as to why we stick with this product which seems to be going backwards in terms of development.

No more from me; I’m tired of it.

But many people reporting the “Loading, please wait” problem are running Roku3s on hardwired networks, so I don’t really see a correlation here.

I use Plex on my Roku3 with the Plex server set to 20mbps. No problems. In my case, I seriously doubt this “loading, please wait” issue is related to bandwidth limitations or Roku3 processing limitations.

1 Like

Not sure if this can help as I haven’t read many people reporting this, but I’ve noticed the following behavior from my chromecast:

If I stream to Chromecast from my desktop chrome browser: it freezes frequently and I think my chromecast even rebooted once.

If I play it from my iPhone Plex app: Works perfectly

I feel like the Roku app is suffering from the same issue as I’m getting when I’m playing it from my chrome browser. If this website is right:

Chromecast can support up to 20 mbps so this shouldn’t be a bandwith limitations, just like you’ve been saying with the Roku.

I have a Roku 3 and both the Tablo and the Roku are hardwired into the same GB switch. So for me it is unlikely that it is a network issue, or related to having an older model Roku.

1 Like

This might be a nice extra option for people who can’t muster enough Wi-Fi bandwidth, but this doesn’t really speak to the problem at hand, which is that folks who were having no problems before 2.2.2 are now having problems. Some of those having problems are not running wireless, so network bandwidth should not be an issue for them. It is not reasonable to say that networks and devices that used to work just fine don’t work now because “…60 fps variable…is too much data to handle for some networks/devices.”

Why don’t you guys just address that issue directly, before adding new features, like an additional quality setting? And if you have confirmed that this is a Roku problem, then tell us that so that we can go throw rocks at Roku.

This business about Roku not being able to handle 1080p and/or more than 3.5 Mbps simply isn’t true. Mine is not restricted to 3.5 and I get flawless 1080p from multiple services, including Tablo. And that is via 802.11n wireless. It even works across our wireless bridge, in another building, so basically across three Wi-Fi hops. And the access point in one of the buildings is 802.11g, and that works fine too. And yet other users, who have Roku 3 devices in a wired network environment can’t make it work anymore, so that pretty much rules out wireless as the reason behind the problem. There’s more going on here than meets the eye.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that either the Tablo update or the Roku update killed Tablo. And even then, it seems like there would have to be some hardware discrepancies involved. For example, maybe some Tablo devices use different hardware than others. Or all Roku 3 devices do not contain the same hardware. But honestly, if the makers of, arguably, the most mature of all streaming devices can’t build a device that can reliably stream 1080p, that’s just hard to even imagine.

Whatever the issue is, is there just a way to downgrade to the old firmware? I’d rather just go back to what was working.

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

@MrMark What router and bridge do you have? All routers are not equal.

FWIW…my Tablo experience has been pretty much flawless for several days now after a factory-reset and seting to 720p.

1 Like