Firmware 2.2.2 drives "Loading, Please Wait"

Do you use a Roku?

Who, me? If so, yes, I have a ROKU 3.

Not sure if it adds anything to the conersation, but switching to the 720 roku/chromecast setting worked for me as a temporary fix. Hope Tablo fixes the problem though because football games looked so great on the 1080P setting when I could see it between the loading screen messages.

Hardwired Roku 3.

FYI folks - the addition of recordings at 60 fps when on the 1080 recording quality setting means that much more data is sometimes being sent for this specific recording quality.

As @mark1030 mentioned, try switching to the Roku/Chromecast setting for now. We’re working on a fix that will create a new quality so that people can still obtain 1080 but without the 60 fps variable which is too much data to handle for some networks/devices.

Please try to keep the current 1080p @ 60 fps settings too, it looks great on my apple TV.

If I may also ask, can you tell us what is Roku saying on their end?

Roku just lost me as a customer (bought one of their device 2 weeks ago and returned it this week-end) and they will most likely lose more Tablo customers if they don’t address this soon.

Yep - we’ll have two options at 1080. One w/ 60 fps and one without.

Not sure if you saw the answer here but that gives a good primer on what the situation is. Possible to get an ETA on next Roku update/release?

YeP I saw it, seems to me like the Roku has a hard time receiving more than 3.5 mbps and you’re gonna try to lower your 1080p fps to get closer to that number in bandwith, it doesn’t really sound like a solution to me, more of a temporary fix.

It seems like the ones who can fix this are the Roku team themselves by upgrading their device, hence why I was asking if they acknowledge the issue and do they seem to care?

1 Like

They’ve set the recommendation because they know that all of their devices can handle it but the newest devices on good quality networks can handle much more.

There has been a rumored Roku 4 which would likely have beefier specs and allow more throughput on a wider variety of networks.

@TabloTV

Thanks for all the clarification. But from these threads it also does appear individuals with the Roku 3 Model 4200 or 4230 (which has the same internal hardware) are having issues with the 60 fps video. Are you saying these individuals likely have network related problems with the increased bitrate because the Roku 3 has a CPU fast enough to decode the 60 fps video?

That’s a bummer. AT&T just installed a brand new Motorola NVG599 router when I canceled the Uverse Tv and went to internet only. And I got a brand new Roku 3 wired with Cat 6 ethernet cable to the router. The Tablo is wired too. So it looks like the weak link is the Roku.

Not sure the 30 fps for sports is going to be good enough. Especially after seeing the 60 fps display. So until Roku 4 comes out, what’s the next best device to get that can handle 1080P 60 fps? Besides Apple Tv that is.

@theuser86 - That may be the case. Asking the Roku to handle that kind of video is pushing the envelope so if you’ve got a less than ideal network or are relying on WiFi at some point you may have an issue.

@mark1030

This is weird, a hard wired network where both the Tablo and Roku is hard wired should be fast enough to deliver 60 fps video to the Roku 3. Which exact Roku 3? 4200 or 4230?

@TabloTV

I have played local h.264 video in the 12-14 Mbit/s range on the Roku 3 4200 with no issues over the local network. So if individuals are having issues when hard wired with a Roku 3, is it possible how the video is encoded is the issue?

Amazon Fire TV Box (or stick if you don’t mind a slower UI - but it plays back perfectly)

This is vague at best. Where did you get this from? Is it coming from a trusted source at Roku? Can you ask them to define what is much more to them? Is it up to 5mbps, 10?

I had my Roku and Apple TV right next to each other, tried both wired and wireless. Never had a single issue with Apple TV, my Roku would reload and reboot frequently.

Now we can blame the Roku wireless or wired network adapter, the main difference between the Apple TV and the Roku as you mentioned is the one that makes the most sense in my mind:

@TabloTV - agreed the WiFi complicates debugging the issue, but for myself, I’m having the ‘Loading’ issue on a wired network head-to-toes. In fact, the Roku and Tablo are wired directly to a GigE TP-Link C8, with new 3 ft cat 6 cables…so I really can’t believe the issue is in the network end of it - at least for those experiencing the issue on a wired network.

I’ll check when I get home. The serial number I can see from Roku’s website is 4E654L048520 in case there’s a code embedded in it to know which model.

Thanks. I’ll look into that if a fix for Roku isn’t coming.

I’m new to the Roku but have had Apple TV for years. The Roku initially impresses with the content offerings but when you look at the junk channels they have the only real channel I would miss by going exclusively with Apple TV is Amazon. Combine that with their clunky interface and Roku has successfully ditched me as a customer. I am poised to hit “buy” on the Apple TV-4. Now, Tablo, get your App ported from the iPad over to Apple TV.

Roku model 4230X Version 6.2 Build 3672.

Last time, I promise: I record at 720P - Roku/Chromecast. My Tablo is wired through a spanking new ASUS RT-N66U, reputed by others here to be a really good router. Roku 3, but yes, it is wifi; about 15’ from the router. Everything via Plex is perfect, but Live TV and anything recorded with these settings is unwatchable. I truly wish a settings change would fix it. Like many others, I have a wife asking why we don’t just go get Comcast settop and be done with it. She got spoiled by SAGETV; worked perfectly, great interface, tons of options, etc, so we have jumped back years. It is hard to make an argument other than monthly cost as to why we stick with this product which seems to be going backwards in terms of development.

No more from me; I’m tired of it.